Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
09-04-2019, 06:47 AM - 10 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fired up the old K-r, Again, and all fired up.

I'm an amateur that's been shooting since my teen days, starting with a M/S 1000DTL, and a garage darkroom.

The FREE Digital film is just so easy.

My first and only DSLR is a K-r.
Bought a new one years ago which now has a scratch on the LCD cover glass, then 4 "broken ones" from ebay with the thought of replacing the cover glass.
Prices ranged from $5 to $20, returns with problems.

One has no Audio, one no Flash, one has a stuck AF/AE button, and the other has the clack clack board issue.
Instead of opening them up to fix I just use the ones that work. The Clacker has most of the parts I would need.

Keep a long lens on one, a kit lens on another, etc.
Tried 6X7 lenses adapted to the K mount.with a 165mm being sharp as a tack, even mounted in reverse

Then I got into bridge cameras. The equivalent of a ton of lenses in one package.
Really convenient, but some loss in image quality.
FZ20, FZ28, FZ70, and my latest, a used FZ80.
Pretty neat camera, but I still love the K-r.

One interest is Free Range Macros.
Insects, birds, and Flowers (for the wife).
So, after searching Pentax lens reviews I bought a FA 100mm F/2.8 Macro from Japan.
Wow.

And a AF 2X TC which ain't worth the trouble with LONG lenses but seems to work with the 100mm
(giving me a 300mm equiv) another Wow

It's been a while since I posted any pics here, I'll try.
I can also try a link to a hosting site, if that's OK? Exif data in link.

The old K-r still lives.

Last edited by Rocketvapor; 09-04-2019 at 07:25 AM.
09-04-2019, 08:28 AM - 10 Likes   #2

Original Poster
Out and about the yard, looking for bugs
09-04-2019, 08:46 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

You have a few K-r cameras? That is pretty cool. I think it was a very well thought out camera - the size is perfect, it's pretty light yet well built, and it was fast to use. The 12MP sensor brings out some sweet images.

Great pictures, by the way!

I would still have mine if it wasn't for the small viewfinder (I use manual lenses quite a bit) and the problems focusing in artificial light, which prompted me to exchange it for a K-S1. I wish the K-S1 had the K-r body though, that would be perfect And I now also have a K-50, which is just slightly too heavy... but that's the tradeoff for having the larger viewfinder. The K-r was perfect in that regard, it would be the perfect size/weight to pair up with some autofocus DA Limited lenses...

Here with Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 LD DI.

09-04-2019, 08:52 AM   #4

Original Poster
Wow, the colors .
I got the extra K-r's after it was discontinued.

The defects don't matter much. No audio for macro shots?
Not a problem.

I have some left over 6X7 lenses and a cheap adapter. Big and heavy, they do well.
Many other K mount and M42 mount lenses.

Still practicing with the Macro lens.

09-04-2019, 09:17 AM   #5

Original Poster
Another use of the K-r is recording shots for review later at home.
Shots at paper targets, with GUNS
I started F-Class target shooting a couple years ago and either use the FZ70 or the K-r to record results.

600yds, in the sun, lying prone doesn't make for great pictures but the K-r with the 400mm can spot the 3" spotter on an F-class paper target.

Not gonna see holes in the black paper without back lighting though.

I can see it much better with the rifle scope but setting the K-r for 30" intervals I can capture 60 shots about a minute apart easily.
Here's a low resolution pic of an "X"
Attached Images

09-04-2019, 11:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Interesting, the uses that a DSLR can have
09-04-2019, 11:44 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

I bought a sub-$50 k-r a few years back, cleaned out the control dial and it was like new. I really should have stopped all dealing at that point, my sanity and budget would both be a lot better off and subsequent photos would be no worse. Someone needs to lash me to the mast, i cannot resist the Sirens as they sing to me