Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Days Ago   #1

New Pentax Kr User Questions

I recently acquired a very lightly used Pentax Kr with two lens (18-55mm and 50-20mm).

I'd appreciate some suggestions from experienced Pentax users of the Pentax Kr. I've had a lot of experience using Nikon DSLR cameras beginning with the D50 and continuing with the D90 to my present D7000 and a nice almost new D2X. I'm still trying to dope out the various menu settings for my Pentax Kr and would be interested in hearing from other users as to their menu settings.

I'm also somewhat mystified by the "Green Button" on this camera. After looking over various forums it's obvious that this button has different functions, depending on the model of the Pentax camera in use. What do users of the Kr normally use for the assignment of this button? Is this button considered to be especially useful?

Thanks, in advance, for any comments or suggestions.

Jim

6 Days Ago   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The green button is pretty consistent across bodies. What it does is it resets the shutter speed and aperture to the values recommended by the camera. This comes in especially handy when using hyper program mode, or when shooting with manual lenses.

There are of course other functions of the button (in conjunction with other buttons) depending on context, but I believe that in older bodies like the K-r that extent is a bit more limited.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

6 Days Ago   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pimadude Quote
...my present D7000...
Welcome to PF. I'm no Nikon expert, but I think the Nikon D7000 came out around the same time as the Pentax Kr, and was designed to occupy a higher slot in the Nikon lineup. What Kr feature(s) brought you to Pentax?
6 Days Ago   #4

Original Poster
Hi, I purchased the Pentax Kr at a local entertainment center that specializes in musical instruments, book, magazines, CD's, DVD's and electronic equipment. They have a one-week money back guarantee if you wish to return items purchased (except books and magazines). I had $100.00 in trade credit at the store.

I always visit the part of the store where they have any cameras and photographic equipment. When I was at the store the Pentax Kr caught my eye, no doubt because if was RED! I also saw that it came with two lenses, the 18-55mm and 50-200mm (WR) models. With my trade credit I was able to purchase the camera, which is in mint condition, for a total price of $85.51. Obviously, not a big investment.

Since I've had the camera I've used it for several photographic outings, including one at a birthday party for a friend. The camera has performed very well, including one portrait of a friend at the party that was the best I've ever gotten of the man.

As far comparing it to my Nikon D7000, each camera has its advantages. The Pentax Kr is smaller and lighter in weight. It has on-board shake reduction in the body, unlike the Nikon which requires lens with that feature. I also like the in camera HDR feature that takes three images and combines them into one photo.

My Nikon D7000 has a better video feature, especially with its port to add an accessory microphone. It also has a better dynamic range, which makes the camera better for landscape photography especially with its 16.2 megapixel sensor resolution. The remote release that's available for the Nikon D7000 is also much better than the one made by Pentax for the Kr (it will auto-focus the lens).

As I've stated, each camera has its advantages. One thing I've found interesting is using Google to compare the Pentax Kr to other DSLR's that were released around the same time (Nikon D7000, Canon 60D, Sony A650). The results may surprise you. Here's the link for one comparison of the Nikon D7000 to the Pentax Kr: Nikon D7000 vs Pentax K-r Detailed Comparison .

Nikon ranked the D7000 as their mid-range DSLR (succeeded by the D7001, D7002, D7500 models), while most of the sources I've seen for the Pentax Kr show it as a "beginner" model. I think this really underestimates the capabilities of the Pentax Kr. Sure, it can be set with the available settings to be not much more that a large "Point-and-Shoot" camera. However, getting into "the weeds" with the available settings in the menus provides a much more advanced capability.

For now, I'll continue to use both my Nikon D7000 (and my Nikon D2X) cameras, but the Pentax Kr will also be a camera that I intend to use, especially as a light weight easy to carry camera around town.

I still, however, would appreciate any suggestions other more experienced users of the Pentax Kr have found for the menu settings!

Best Wishes.
Jim