Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2019, 05:01 PM   #1

Two different issues with my 64 gb memory cards

Hi everyone, a couple of questions regarding 64gb memory cards. I am aware of an old forum about it but it does not resolve my two issues, explained below.

I have only lately started experiencing this problem, and ONLY WITH 64GB cards, so I would appreciate advice of more seasoned K-r users, or professionals.

I have been using my K-r since 2011 and am quite satisfied with it. I have without any issues used a 64gb Ultra card for a few years, but then I believe (in retrospect) that I made a mistake of formatting it inside my Mac. Now the Pentax will no longer read it, gives me "cannot read this card" error, and does NOT allow me to even format it inside it.

A much bigger problem is that recently I ordered a brand new 64gb card, and I am getting the same error when I try to use it.
I am questioning myself whether at any points I may have pressed the button "reset all values to default" in the K-r menu, and although not sure, could this be the source of this particular problem with this new card?
(I am sure that the protection is off on both cards).

My questions are:

1. Is there any way I can again use in my Pentax the 64gb card which I unwittingly formatted in the Mac - and how?
2. Will the installing firmware update to the K-r solve the issue with the new card, if I may have caused this problem by reverting the firmware to the default values - but how then am I still able to use my 32gb card without issues?

As I say, there is no particular logic in my camera's behavior with these two cards.

Thank you

11-04-2019, 05:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Which firmware version are you using? The latest is 1.15.

Version 1.01 first introduced compatibility with SDXC cards. Version 1.12 introduced "Improved reliability of recording operation when using SDXC memory card".
11-04-2019, 05:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Which firmware version are you using? The latest is 1.15.

Version 1.01 first introduced compatibility with SDXC cards. Version 1.12 introduced "Improved reliability of recording operation when using SDXC memory card".
I am getting ready to install the kr_v115m - is that the latest?
but I do not know which one I am currently using, given that I may have pressed "restore default" at some point - which may have caused the issue with the new card. I mean, I am trying to think through what I may have done to cause this, given that I successfully used the 64gb card until recently.
11-04-2019, 06:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the Kr page it states this:

Memory card type
SD, SDHC (max. 32GB), SDXC via firmware update

It doesn't state that the capacity is increased in the firmware updates, nor does it state that it is not increased. I think you may have been lucky that it did work.

Formatting it in the Mac should not have killed the card, you should be able to reformat it in camera. Resetting your camera values to default should not affect formatting. Do have access to another camera that you could attempt to reformat the card in? You may be able to remove formatting in the Mac, similar to what you can do wiping a hard drive. You might want to check the card manufacturer's website.

11-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #5

Restore default will not reset the firmware version.

Sdxc /64gb requires a specific file system format that is less compatible with macOS. Using the disk utility try removing all partitions from the card, and then try formatting it with the camera again.
11-04-2019, 06:06 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for both your suggestions. Will try these in the coming week and if any of these work on either of the cards I will post to celebrate.

---------- Post added 11-04-19 at 06:10 PM ----------

Thanks. I was not aware that the limit to which cards I could use may have been 32gb.
I did use my first 64gb very happily on at least a few big trips and made a few thousand photos - and then decided that it would be a good idea to format the card while transferring the pics into the computer, just as prompted by the computer software.
I have to get hold of another camera to try reformatting it and perhaps using it agan in my K-r, but that will have to wait a bit.
Thanks, I will def, try this option,
11-04-2019, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #7

Use SD Formatter. Use the overwrite format option to return the card to factory standards.

SD Memory Card Formatter - SD Association

There is a Mac version.

11-04-2019, 06:22 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Use SD Formatter. Use the overwrite format option to return the card to factory standards.

SD Memory Card Formatter - SD Association

There is a Mac version.
Thanks, will try this.
11-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
32gb - 64gd seems to be an important line in memory. 32gb memory is formatted as FAT. 64gb memory is formatted as exFAT. FAT is a generic standard, but exFAT is owned by Microsoft and used as they permit. I’m not sure exactly how these facts explain these issues, but they must fit in there somehow.
11-05-2019, 02:48 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I agree with Not a Number. Using the SD formatter should remove the Mac partitions and bring the card back to a usable state.
11-05-2019, 03:06 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
FAT is a generic standard, but exFAT is owned by Microsoft and used as they permit.
The Mac Disk Utility has an exFAT option for formatting.
11-05-2019, 07:12 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks to all, will try any and all to make it work, because this seems to be something more than just one wrongly formatted card, given that the new 64gb also cannot be read. I will post when and if I have results. Need to find time to do this, because if rushed I can damage the camera on top of the card.

---------- Post added 11-05-19 at 07:14 AM ----------

Thanks to all, will try any and all to make it work, because this seems to be something more than just one wrongly formatted card, given that the new 64gb also cannot be read. I will post when and if I have results. Need to find time to do this, because if rushed I can damage the camera in addition to the card.
11-05-2019, 01:42 PM   #13
Unregistered User

When I get that message, I stick the card into the computer (Windows) run chkdsk with all fixit-options go, then reformat w/ExFAT file system. Then I stick the card back in the camera and tell the camera to format the thing again. Always worked, so far. Done this with the K-50, KP, & K-1.
11-05-2019, 02:12 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
When I get that message, I stick the card into the computer (Windows) run chkdsk with all fixit-options go, then reformat w/ExFAT file system. Then I stick the card back in the camera and tell the camera to format the thing again. Always worked, so far. Done this with the K-50, KP, & K-1.
thanks for another idea
11-05-2019, 05:45 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tryingmybest Quote
Thanks to all, will try any and all to make it work, because this seems to be something more than just one wrongly formatted card, given that the new 64gb also cannot be read. I will post when and if I have results. Need to find time to do this, because if rushed I can damage the camera on top of the card.
You may want to continue exploring, but I found that both my Pentax K-30 and my Pentax KP would work only a few days on a 64gb card ..... I remove a card each time I read pictures from it {yes, I know, another debate}, and after a few times it would start failing again. After awhile, I gave up on 64gb cards, and now I use only 32gb {or smaller} cards. Ironically, only my Q-7 works consistently on the larger cards.