Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2019, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Battery type AA/NiMH/Eneloop in K-x, K-r, K30 K50, K500 as well as *ist/K100/200/2000

Because (sadly?) we have no sub-forum for the K-x I write this here in the sub-forum for the K-r:

Many had problems with the type of battery, depending on:
1. different types of AA NiMH: Ricoh USA sold the K-x with Energizer-AA's (as far as I remember, correct me if I am wrong)
In the European Union it were Energizers as well in the beginning but soon they changed for Panasonic Eneloops for a reason.
2. different types of batteries: Ni-MH or Li-Ion (K-r, K30/50/500)
3. correct handling of menu and or swap between different battery-types

Ricoh Switzerland and Ricoh Germany had a particular page for those problems relating the the K-x and this goes as much for the other mentioned cameras which allowed different battery types (so as well for the K100D, K200D, K110D and K-m/K-2000 as well as all *ist bodies!)

Basically Ricoh mentioned that the discharge-curve of AA's depends very much on type and can be either pretty even or steep.

With older type AA's the K-x gave the message, that the battery would soon be empty.

For the K-x (and all others mentioned) being able to measure the actual charge it has electronics onboard to automatically recognize the type of the battery.

In the menu factory-setting is on AUTO.

The camera will "remember" the type of battery used for 1 minute.

If one uses different battery types, this can lead to wrong measurements and thus wrong state of charge.

Therefore one should either set the type exactly in the menu

or...

... wait 1 min. after one changed to a different type.

This waiting time will allow a reset of the memory (of the previous type used).

If one does not wait,the memory stores the wrong type!

Also it is important to realize that NiMH's only have their full capacity after repeated charge and discharge!

Ricoh explained this in detail with this test-method:

- place batteries into the camera
- state of charge is shown now "orange"
- leave camera unused without switching off: Camera goes into Stand-By:
Shutterreleasebutton pressed: state of charge now "green"
- Set in menu on JPEG, 2MP and 1 star, AF switched off
- do continuous serial-shots
- after about 670 shots the battery state will show "orange"
- short break, battery state goes back to "green"
- after another 1300 shots stop
- Change to "video-mode":
- after 3 minutes taking a video battery state "orange", but after a few seconds later back to "green"
- another 12min video recording. Battery state changes between "orange and green"
- Another 16,5 min. video recording, thermometer warns overheating now and battery constant "orange" now.

So after 1300 shots and 25 min. video recording in sequences of 1,5 min each this test was finished.
After another 30 min. 1x more sequence of 1.5 min. video was possible: Eneloop AA's now complete discharged.

This test took about 4 hours but showed how good new Eneloops really are

A good page on Eneloops and different measurements/comparison and of the different generations

can be found HERE

The original message in German by Ricoh one finds HERE

Last edited by photogem; 12-13-2019 at 02:59 AM.
12-13-2019, 07:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
So after 1300 shots and 25 min. video recording in sequences of 1,5 min each this test was finished.After another 30 min. 1x more sequence of 1.5 min. video was possible: Eneloop AA's now complete discharged.
Impressive numbers, I tried 2 sets of eneloop on my K30 and never had those numbers. With auto or Ni-MH I never had a better results the original lithium battery the camera gives up long before the eneloop are exhausted. The battery sets work great on flash and put out more than 2500mA on a 0.5A load.
I'm now trying this with better results that the eneloop so far.
01-07-2020, 04:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Even with emeloops I never reached 500 shots per battery charge on my k-x.
01-26-2020, 10:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Even with Eneloops I never reached 500 shots per battery charge on my k-x.
Depends of course on a few other factors as well:
- capacity of Eneloops
- age of Eneloops
- how is the camera used, i.e. a lot with LV (liveview) (which drains a lot), video (which is in LV mode and drains even more)

The new type Eneloops (PRO or XX with 2500mA) are really great.