Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2020, 11:31 PM   #1

Pentax K-r doesn't autofocus

Hello,

I've been using a 9 year old pentax k-r. Recently it stopped focusing with af.

When I press the focus button it does activate the motor and try to focus back and forth few times then it stops without focusing.

When I switch it to MF and focus manually, it does beep when object is in focus. So I think af sensor works well.

When I try to focus in liveview mode the visual zooms in but no effort on af motor and it shows red out of focus square.

Lenses does work with my z1-p well.

What causes this problem and can it be fixed?

History about the problem: one or two years ago I bought 50mm and 28mm manual lens with pentax super me and started film fotography and shooting with kr occasionally. Until then I was only using kit lenses 18-55 and 50-200. When I started using those manual lenses it began to cause a problem with my kit lenses. When I put my af lens to kr it started show it as manual focus. Then I tried to unmount and remount it fixed the problem sometimes, sometimes not. Recently I decided to clean contacts with alcohol. However I used 80 lemon cologne as alcohol. It fixed the problem that night, but a day later it stopped autofocusing as I mentioned above. Then I tried to clean contacts again with isopropanol but it didn't help.

01-29-2020, 03:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

is the screwdrive exposing itself in AF mode or retract in manual?
01-29-2020, 04:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The manual lenses should not have caused any problems, unless maybe you left the camera in auto focus, the screw may be bent or worse. But the lemon cologne may have caused a lot of damage, I don't know what is in it, but chances are it left sticky residue in the af screw.
04-28-2020, 03:59 AM   #4

Original Poster
I solved the problem. Apparently cologne left some essence oil residue which caused problem. I took a pure isopropanol and a cotton pad. I showed the parts with two red circle on the picture. I pressed isopropanol to these parts with cotton pad and made something like cardiac massage. Pushing in and letting out for a while. Then let it dry and voila. Problem solved.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo