Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2020, 06:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-r "sticky" aperture lever, looking for advice

Hi there,

I've had a K-r for nearly 9 years, still works well (it only has a bit less than 15k actuations), excepted the usual stuff (backup capacitor or battery being worn (I have to set date & time whenever I remove the battery), and the original battery just being work as well).

More annoying, when I leave the camera for some days, the first pictures with a A lens are back or awfully underexposed. I traced the problem to be a kind of sticky aperture lever, and I cure that with some seconds in burst mode.

However, there must be a better way to fix it.

How could I lubricate the aperture lever mechanism, as I suspect some grease has gone dry?

Regards,
Guillaume.

04-06-2020, 06:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Unfortunately it seems you have 'aperture block' failure. Search this forum for the term.
04-06-2020, 07:52 AM   #3
G.T
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hello John,

Thanks for your reply. I've seen some messages with the keywords you gave, I think I'll live with it... That remains a lovely camera.

Best regards,
G.
04-06-2020, 08:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I am surprised though. Aperture block failure started to be a common failure with the K-30. Are K-r affected as well?

04-06-2020, 09:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-r's use the 'white' solenoid, not the problematic green ones.
04-06-2020, 09:51 AM   #6

There have been reports of the dreaded green solenoid found on the aperture mechanism of K-r bodies on the German pentaxians forum.
04-07-2020, 03:06 AM   #7
G.T
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
There have been reports of the dreaded green solenoid found on the aperture mechanism of K-r bodies on the German pentaxians forum.
Being in France, I could have one of these (must be a EU-specs batch), but I don't feel like dismantling mine to check (I've had a look on the Web about that)
06-14-2020, 02:34 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
No, there were no reports of this kind.

Not in the aperture mechanism, the K-r was the last one using the white Japan-solenoid!
You have quoted those reports before, but google translastion wasn't good enough.

The green China-Solenoid was used for the pop-up-flash in the K-r.
In Pentax cameras sold in Europe Ricoh started to test the green China solenoid (with sucess) in the flash-circuitry already in the K100D, it was to be found in the K110D, K200D, K-2000 (K-m), K-x and K-r:

The very interesting thing was, that some idiots had the idea of exchanging the white Japan-Solenoid of the K-r with a filed/sanded green China-Solenoid.
But then the K-r produces the famous mirror-flap!
All "mirror-flap" K-r's I had on my work-bench missed the white Japan-Solenoid but had a filed/sanded green China-Solenoid built in (of course not factory assembled like this!)

06-15-2020, 11:58 AM   #9
G.T
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think it may worth a reply.

I've dismantled my K-r to find it had a white solenoid (good point), I haven't checked the flash solenoid.

I've ordered a set of Eneloops, as I already had the LR-6 (AA) adapter, it seems the problem has gone. Perhaps the battery (I knew was well worn, after all those years) did not have enough pickup to move the solenoid on a cold mechanism.

Ironically, I may be using my good, old, beloved even, k-r a bit less as I've bought besides a used D5300. But it remains a brilliant camera, well designed, well built and easy to use (especially the menus, compared to the Nikon).