Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
06-19-2020, 09:41 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
...however if you try a fast 50 like the "M" or "A" 50mm f1.7, which is what I use by default for most of my lens pics, and shoot at a middling F I think you will see a big jump in iq. 50-1.7's are easily acquired for well under $50.
One other thought: are you using a remote/cable shutter release?
One of the two lenses that I was testing with, happens to be a 1:2 50mm lens that came with my original K1000 body. There are times when I use a remote to trigger the camera, but had not been using this recently. I noticed that there are a few comments about moving the aperture to something like an F8, which is something that I did attempt late last night and noticed an improvement. So, even though I am shooting flat subject matter, I might stick with that for now.

---------- Post added 06-19-20 at 10:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Yup... Looks in focus to me. I'd try reading glasses first...
I think you are correct. :-)

06-19-2020, 09:52 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Even though the Pentax 50mm f2.0's are not regarded as great 50's, I imagine that lens (assuming it is clean and undamaged etc etc) at f8 will optically outperform the kit lens at 50mm & f8. I would definitely use a remote shutter release for this OR the few seconds shutter delay that is available in the menus for your camera (I assume the K-r has this, my K-5 does and I think my K100D did as well).
06-19-2020, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax 50mm f2 designs are fine when stopped down a little bit. They're good at f/2.8 and excellent with great definition at f/5.6 and smaller.
06-19-2020, 11:14 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah that's why I wrote it.

06-19-2020, 12:02 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Is 5 feet considered close focus for that lens at that focal length? I haven't looked at the focusing ring distance scale on my copy of that lens in a very long time.
No, five feet would not be close focus with the 18-55/3.5-5.6; MFD is eight inches. I cannot vouch for the near-focus is worse claim above, but I can confirm that at or near 55mm focal length is reliably soft with all versions of that lens.

For @krBlues and the subject of small product photography, a dedicated macro lens might be a good option. AF is not an advantage here and neither is full-on 1:1 macro; 1:2 should be fine.

Steve
06-19-2020, 12:17 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That seems to be what I remember of that lens as well, that it is better from maybe 22mm or so and starts running out of relative steam in the 40mm or so range.

Let's see what happens when he tries that 50mm f2 at some narrow apertures and how he feels about that. There are a number of lenses that could be suggested if he wants to spend a little money and agreed that AF isn't useful here. Good that he's got what seems like decent lighting so stopping down isn't an issue.
06-19-2020, 07:39 PM   #22

Original Poster
pres589 commented on a comparison, so I shot the same subject with each lens. I kept the flash setting unchanged (1/8, +0.7). The physical size of the image is about 5x7.
No sharpening has been done. The newer kit lens is very convenient, but I may prefer the older one for photographing flat things.

Attached Images

06-19-2020, 07:47 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems better from here... maybe not the best subject? Newsprint would be nice, something with straight lines and normal curves. What are your thoughts dealing with the full sized images out of the camera?

One nice thing about the 50 is that, due to it being a manual focus lens from the film era, the manual focus ring should have plenty of travel and decent amount of damping to make accurate focusing easier.
06-19-2020, 08:01 PM   #24

Original Poster
Full sized images out of the camera... Well, I have been able/wiling to tolerate the differences of each lens and have been favoring the newer kit lens. This is likely because of the convenience of using a zoom while in a very limited shooting space. I feel that the older lens is slightly better but there are times when I just need to get more in the shot, and backing up is not an option.
06-19-2020, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krBlues Quote
One thing I may have overlooked is that the photographer's eyes are due to have an updated RX filter applied to them.
If they photos appear in focus to others, I can't think of anything else to blame.
Ansel Adams discovered this later in life after he fired some very good assistants for suggesting it.
06-19-2020, 09:17 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
Ansel Adams discovered this later in life after he fired some very good assistants for suggesting it.
Ha! I never knew that.
Yes, operator error is a regrettable thing to admit.
06-20-2020, 09:01 AM   #27
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by krBlues Quote
I feel that the older lens is slightly better but there are times when I just need to get more in the shot, and backing up is not an option.
This is very common for me.
When I have a prime lens on and I'm using my feet to zoom I find myself walking backward far more often than forward.
06-22-2020, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
When I have a prime lens on and I'm using my feet to zoom I find myself walking backward far more often than forward.
I've tried that. After tripping over my own feet or the tripod legs several times and falling I decided zoom lenses weren't so bad......................