Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2020, 06:47 AM   #1

Issues with batteries.

Hi folks. Looking for some advice. Dug out my Kr to play with my macro lense and it didn’t want to turn on. Checked batteries (lithium) and the tester said they were fine but no joy at all. Tried some high power aa’s and it eventually and with real reluctance started up. Within a couple of mins they showed these brand new batteries as depleted and shut down. Tester shows batteries to be fine. Tried lithium’s again and still nothing. Is this a known issue?
Camera has been left for some time as I’ve been using my Panasonic bridge camera as it’s lighter and saves taking the heavy Pentax out on walks. It is about 10 years old now. My local camera shop are of course closed at the moment🙄.
Any info or advice gratefully received.

11-11-2020, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #2

Welcome to the forums.

Sometimes it helps to go into the setup menu change the battery type from Auto to the type of batteries installed. And letting the camera sit overnight before turning it on would allow the clock backup battery to charge.
11-11-2020, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IF the camera was sitting for a while, you may want to take a pencil eraser (Rubber for you folks in the UK) and rub the inside contacts as well. Were the batteries you took out leaking at all??? a quick rub with the eraser might do the trick.
11-11-2020, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a K-x with the same issue years ago. My suggestion is the same as "not a number's". Pop in a fresh set of batteries and leave the camera turned off overnight. In the morning, turn the camera back on and you should be golden.

11-11-2020, 01:40 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Same here with my k-x, the camera seems to wrongly measure the voltage of the batteries, choosing the type of teh battery on the setup menu doesnt help either. I found that cycling through the live view and teh viewfinder somehow fixes things.
11-11-2020, 08:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
Same here with my k-x, the camera seems to wrongly measure the voltage of the batteries, choosing the type of teh battery on the setup menu doesnt help either. I found that cycling through the live view and teh viewfinder somehow fixes things.
Had the same experience on my ist DL2.
11-11-2020, 08:46 PM   #7

As I recall a few people have reported cycling the power on and off a few times sometimes the camera will recognize the correct battery type.

04-20-2021, 12:04 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Late reply but important for those who come across this problem:
read this, it applies to the K-r as well because the powersupply of the K-r is the same as in the K-x but with the option for Li-Ion batteries as well:
Battery type AA/NiMH/Eneloop in K-x, K-r, K30 K50, K500 as well as *ist/K100/200/2000 - PentaxForums.com