Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-20-2020, 05:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Date and Time

Is it normal to lose date and time when changing battery.

11-20-2020, 06:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

No. The K-r has a back-up capacitor I believe. However, the K-r has been known to have this problem.
11-20-2020, 06:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Is it normal to lose date and time when changing battery.
There should be either a coin batterie of a back-up capacitor somewhere in the camera to prevent that from happening.
In your case I suspect that battery is dead, additionally to time and date I suspect you will also loose camera settings when changing the battery and they will go back to defaults.
11-20-2020, 07:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-01 has this issue - not uncommon for the K-01 - and the only settings lost are the date & time. Other camera settings remain intact.

11-20-2020, 08:20 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My previous 645z used to lose it all the time even when I didn’t replace the battery
11-21-2020, 05:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all. Not a big problem, I'll just deal with it.
05-15-2021, 11:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
No. The K-r has a back-up capacitor I believe. However, the K-r has been known to have this problem.
Not a capacitor but a Lithium battery.
See here:
Tutorial: Change Back-up Battery Pentax K-30, K-50, K-500 - PentaxForums.com
Any Pentax I know had this MS414 inside

12-13-2021, 06:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Date Time rechargeable lithium cell replacement.

Well just changed the date time battery. Took advice to print off images of where all the screws go and tape them to the page as removing them from the camera. Can find disassembly details easily on the web. Need a fine iron and steady hand. I only removed the connectors from the main board enough to get to the battery whilst it is still attached to the camera. Didn't need to unsolder any wires doing this. My first image after doing the task and sheets with the removed screws.

Maybe this is of help.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G930F  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-G930F  Photo 
12-13-2021, 11:44 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done. I can't remember were the battery is located on its mainboard. With the K-x it is on the backside, so you have to unsolder wires to get the mainboard out.
The K-r and the K-m (K2000) have it like the K30/50 on directly accessable on the frontside of the mainboard.
The way this backup battery is fixed on the K-r is particular helpful because it is easy to unsolder.
Much more difficult on the K30/50 and almost impossible on the K-S1, K-S2 and K-70.

Attached photo/snapshop shows the K-r mainboard from the orig. service manual
Strange, your photo shows a diagonal placed battery, different to the one shown in the serv. man.
Attached Images

12-14-2021, 07:34 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Attached photo/snapshop shows the K-r mainboard from the orig. service manual
Strange, your photo shows a diagonal placed battery, different to the one shown in the serv. man.
I used K-r notes which is similar enough to the K-x I have and repaired.
12-14-2021, 10:30 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-x battery is on the front- or backside of the mainboard?
12-16-2021, 12:49 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
The K-x battery is on the front- or backside of the mainboard?
Battery is on the back. You can get to it without unsoldering any wire on the board though you need to undo many of the flexible flat cables, and remove the 4 screws securing the board..
You do need good fine soldering skills manipulating the board to expose the cell to a good degree. The camera with time date cell exposed has rear panel side down so the cell is behind the main board.
Even though it is much a beginners DSLR it is a treat to practice your skills and photographic assumptions with it. I find it helps with use of more expensive gear (Canon 5D 4 example) or shooting film. To me it has been worth while to repair the holding of date and time feature between battery changes or charging. Suffered it for at least a couple of years and it is a pain to reset all the time to me. Hope some of this helps.
12-25-2021, 02:09 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by John in OZ Quote
Battery is on the back. You can get to it without unsoldering any wire on the board though you need to undo many of the flexible flat cables, and remove the 4 screws securing the board..
You do need good fine soldering skills manipulating the board to expose the cell to a good degree. The camera with time date cell exposed has rear panel side down so the cell is behind the main board.
That's what was in my memory from another person and his K-x.
I prefer to take the mainboard out as shown here by member @Richard Bradford:
Kx - Date requiring reset - PentaxForums.com

This allows better access even for my tiny Weller WSP80N with pencil-tip.