Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2022, 01:57 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Resetting frame counter

Just checking to confirm that the frame counter on my vintage K-r really cannot be reset - it's now sitting maxxed out at "9999" - kind of annoying

I bought my K-r new here in Canada from Henry's Photo in late 2010 - K-r Manufacture Date: 2010-09-26; shutter count currently at 14,369

I thought even resetting it somehow to a blank would be more satisfying

Many thanks

11-24-2022, 02:33 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have no idea if it is even possible....have you tried a factory re-set from the menu ?
11-24-2022, 03:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I have no idea if it is even possible....have you tried a factory re-set from the menu ?
Not yet - thought there might be an undocumented work-around for this.
I realize it might be like (illegally) resetting an odometer on an older car, but then, there is no other way of logging the shutter releases on this (or newer?) Pentax DSLRs as they near their advertised limit which can range in the 6 figures? on the newest ones anyway.
11-24-2022, 03:18 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PENTAPSC Quote
Not yet - thought there might be an undocumented work-around for this.
I realize it might be like (illegally) resetting an odometer on an older car, but then, there is no other way of logging the shutter releases on this (or newer?) Pentax DSLRs as they near their advertised limit which can range in the 6 figures? on the newest ones anyway.
Does the manual give any guidance ?

11-24-2022, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On most Pentax cameras the numbers come from the sd card. The camera keeps track and typically resets when it hits 9999. First , check to be sure the firmware is up to date. I donít recall if there were updates made but itís worth a check. Another option is to try deleting all but one of the files via your computer and rename it to xxxxxx1 whatever the correct pattern is. Then put it back in the camera and turn it in and take a picture. It should reset back to 2 if it works like most Pentax cameras.
11-24-2022, 05:44 PM - 2 Likes   #6

Pentax DSLRs usually start numbering from the highest number found on the card(s). When it reaches 9999 they usually restart from 0001 unless there is already a 0001.

Put a blank card, delete all the files or format the card and it should start over at 0001.

Edit: on the K10D if you go into the memory setting and uncheck "file no." it will start over (new folder) every time you turn off the camera.

Last edited by Not a Number; 11-24-2022 at 05:49 PM.
11-25-2022, 03:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PENTAPSC Quote
Just checking to confirm that the frame counter on my vintage K-r really cannot be reset - it's now sitting maxxed out at "9999" - kind of annoying
I bought my K-r new here in Canada from Henry's Photo in late 2010 - K-r Manufacture Date: 2010-09-26; shutter count currently at 14,369
I thought even resetting it somehow to a blank would be more satisfying
Many thanks
Weird!
Are you saying that every picture you take is numbered xxxx9999.jpg Ö presumably every subsequent shot is written in a new folder, or does every image over-write the previous one?
Either way, a total reset and/or firmware update should sort it out.
Good luck

11-25-2022, 09:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can change the letters in front of the numbers. (at least as far as I know absolutely with the K7 and the K1-II)
Default it is IMGP. I changed it TO IMGA and when reaching 9999, changed it to IMGB and so on (currently at IMGF) 😊

When you would reset the numbering, you would end up with pictures with the same name with all rhe risks of overwriting older pictures.

Last edited by Sakura; 11-25-2022 at 09:49 AM.