Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 06:03 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Review of K-r +video +samples!

here what I have found.. hope it's not a repost, if it is.. delete it please.

in spanish

Pentax K-r: toma de contacto y muestras

review with of K-r with lots of pictures, video and image samples.
enjoy.

can anyone make it with google translator?

09-09-2010, 07:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The best post to date on the k-r, thanks!

P.S: Google translation to english

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&e...stras%2C1_6740
09-09-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mystic Quote
here what I have found.. hope it's not a repost, if it is.. delete it please.

in spanish

Pentax K-r: toma de contacto y muestras

review with of K-r with lots of pictures, video and image samples.
enjoy.

can anyone make it with google translator?
Very timely and excellent find you have here, Mystic!
This is a very complete show of the Kr with lots of great photos and showing it as it really is.
As Adam mentions earlier: best post to date on the K-r.

Thanks for sharing.

JP
09-09-2010, 07:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For all high ISO freaks - the 12800 ISO looks nice!

I mean with careful noise reduction this shot is very good, the detail is till there to some extent.

09-09-2010, 07:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
For all high ISO freaks - the 12800 ISO looks nice!
And ISO 1600 looks almost noiseless. My K10D looks pretty stupid now.
09-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

iso 1600 is indeed amazing...I could sharpen that jpeg file to ridiculous levels without introducing any significant noise artifacts.
09-09-2010, 07:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If ISO 1600 with the K-r is so amazing, I would love to think that the noise handling with the K5 will be similarly good or better!

09-09-2010, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #8

Sure you can get a google translation, however for those who dont understand spanish a quick overview...

- Price expected 700EUR from October.
- Incremental changes vs. Kx which was well received
- feels a bit more firm in the hand and more angular
- menus/controls etc... follow previous Pentax models
- Screen is a big improvement on Kx
- Could have done with front wheel as per K7 & Raw button
- Live view focus via conventional AF (mirror down, Contrast and Facial decection)
- Focus noise with 18-55 is a bit excessive (no comment on speed).
- No real comment on quality at iso levels but suggests avoiding the highest (ISO25600).
- says 6fps is "respectable" for this line of camera.
- Positive about the Battery options.
- Referenced the IR as a method of connecting to mobile to upload to internet in addition to camera to camera...
- Those who expected something more similar to K7 vs. Kx will be somewhat dissapointed.
- Full HD video would have looked good on the specsheet.
- Overall, biggest issue is that Kx can be found for less than 500Eur and has the perfect equilibrium of price and quality so Kr needs to work hard to find a space in the lineup.
09-09-2010, 11:54 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

Pentax K-r first dynamic range experiment

QuoteOriginally posted by Mystic Quote
This is from quesabesde.com. Good first hand reports are their strength.

Later down are three raw files (DNG). I looked at the last one ( http://images.quesabesde.com/camaras_digitales/noticias/pentax_k-r_imgp1126.dng ). The man looking at the newspaper wall. It is ISO 100 ... but it has an almost black region in the upper right corner (very high contrast!).

I've used standard processing options in LR2 (except for black clipping=0) and then edited in PS3, pushing exposure 8 stops up!! (LR only allows to push 4 stops which is why I used PS3).

8 stops would turn ISO 100 into some ISO 25,600. But this is from the shadows of an ISO 100 image! So whatever DR is visible, you must 8 more stops for the full DR ...

Below is a 100% crop from the region pushed 8 stops. Not a lot of noise. Actually, looks rather amazing if you ask me. The burned out regions must be ignored, they are from pushing 8 stops...

EDIT:
I added a 2nd image, from a K-x ISO100 PEF processed to the same color temp and using the same settings and procedure. It is a crop from a test chart.

The K-r does indeed seem to beat the K-x in dynamic range. Amazing if this turns out to be true

Last edited by falconeye; 06-23-2012 at 03:08 AM.
09-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

K-r AA battery adapter | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

09-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

K-r in silver and black (front view) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This color of K-r i like. =)
09-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Below is a 100% crop from the region pushed 8 stops. Not a lot of noise. Actually, looks rather amazing if you ask me. The burned out regions must be ignored, they are from pushing 8 stops...
That's rather hard to beleive!
I can't say for sure(without more testing) but I think it's better than the D700!
09-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
This is from quesabesde.com. Good first hand reports are their strength.

Later down are three raw files (DNG). I looked at the last one ( http://images.quesabesde.com/camaras_digitales/noticias/pentax_k-r_imgp1126.dng ). The man looking at the newspaper wall. It is ISO 100 ... but it has an almost black region in the upper right corner (very high contrast!).

I've used standard processing options in LR2 (except for black clipping=0) and then edited in PS3, pushing exposure 8 stops up!! (LR only allows to push 4 stops which is why I used PS3).

8 stops would turn ISO 100 into some ISO 25,600. But this is from the shadows of an ISO 100 image! So whatever DR is visible, you must 8 more stops for the full DR ...

thanks! that's really unbelievable, but does it really tells us something? something that is somewhat unrealistic - how good the image quality is for the price..
09-09-2010, 03:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Nice find, Mystic!

For a camera with such high quality image capabilities, I'm very impressed with the simplicity of the controls. I don't know if they've been studying Apple's products, but looking at that image of the back of the camera I see that it's got two more functions than my *istDS but adds no buttons. And the layout of those buttons is much improved.

I hope Pentax sells a million of these things.

@paulelescoces thanks for the translation.

@falconeye thanks for the usual hard analysis!
09-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #15

Wow that ISO is insane. The 12800 mask shot must be like the k7 at 800 ISO. The letter at 1600 and the tap at 3200 are amazing. That shot of the garbage penguin looks super clean and then I found out it was ISO 100 lol. If they added WR sealing and charged 200 dollars more this would be perfect for me. A light weight camera I can take out into the elements. This might top DXO for what its worth.