Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Club Rugby
Lens: Sigma 70-200/2.8 + 1.4x TC Camera: Pentax K-7 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: Arpe, 05-02-2010, 07:10 PM

Views: 2,357
05-03-2010, 04:03 AM   #2
Millionth Poster!

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great action shots. Really like the full stride of the athlete in the second shot. More sports shot are needed yes
05-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Cheers Scott. The guy in the first two scores lots or tries (touchdowns?) and is an amazing runner, and breaks tackles like that often.
05-04-2010, 03:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Is this one better?

05-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Great action shots...one rough game!
05-05-2010, 03:51 AM   #6
Millionth Poster!

Great airbourne shots. timing is everything
05-05-2010, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #7

I watch a bit of club rugby here from time to time and took my K-x along last weekend. Didn't get any great action shots but here are a couple of okay ones:

These were taken with a DAL 55-300mm. I also tried a couple of night games to see how things went with pushing the ISO up (note - I'm not entirely happy with the colour and white balance but still working on getting that right for night time sports). I would like to have a faster telephoto but this is just for fun so there are other lenses that I'd rather spend money on first.

And for Arpe's benefit, go the Reds this weekend!
05-05-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nothing much wrong with them oh beery one. Cropping can help a lot! A fast lens does help, but if you got that last one with the 55-300 at night you're doing bloody well! You Aussies must be able to afford more lights than we can!

It's great fun trying to shoot the rugby. I've been doing all the games for my local club for the last couple of years.

Go the Canes!

QuoteOriginally posted by PentX Girl Quote
Great action shots...one rough game!
Yeah they don't wear padding so the bodies take a hammering.

05-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #9

Thanks Arpe. They're okay, nothing too special. The night one isn't actually club rugby, it's the Queensland 2nd XV playing an Argentinian club team being played at Ballymore (~20,000 seat stadium) so it has much better lighting than any of the local club grounds. Mind you it was still taken wide open (f/5.8 at 300mm) and at ISO 6400 to get a shutter speed of 1/800s.
05-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ahhhh, that's cheating! Our local ground, which is the best local one behind the Stadium in Wellington, I get down to f2.8, 1/350, ISO 1600-3200, even 4500 in the corners! I usually use a 1.4x TC on the lens, but can't there at night.

Canes by 12.
05-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #11

There's only three night games in the entire club season here. There are a few 4:30pm games which might be a problem especially come June or July.

If any Reds player falls for a dummy by Nonu within 30m of the line I'll shoot them. I wish I could say with confidence that the Reds will thump the Canes but I just don't know how they'll respond to last week's game which was the first one this season where they were never really in it (though it isn't easy when you've got no locks left on the field by the 23 min mark). We've lost our best prop and our depth is being tested with injuries, especially in the second row. The other big question is how the Reds play under the pressure of fighting to hold onto a semi-final spot - something very new for most of the Reds.
05-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
Millionth Poster!

You guys need the challenge of getting those shots with a K10. Highest iso of 1600. Makes for lots of crossed fingers and anticipation. My shots in these conditions are of American soccer.
05-05-2010, 10:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Great action shots! I've had my fair share of shooting sports, and getting good face shots with emotion's tough.

How's the sigma working out for you? I hope to one day own that lens, but probably not for a long time.
05-06-2010, 03:30 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GingerBeer Quote
There's only three night games in the entire club season here. There are a few 4:30pm games which might be a problem especially come June or July.

If any Reds player falls for a dummy by Nonu within 30m of the line I'll shoot them. I wish I could say with confidence that the Reds will thump the Canes but I just don't know how they'll respond to last week's game which was the first one this season where they were never really in it (though it isn't easy when you've got no locks left on the field by the 23 min mark). We've lost our best prop and our depth is being tested with injuries, especially in the second row. The other big question is how the Reds play under the pressure of fighting to hold onto a semi-final spot - something very new for most of the Reds.
Yeah the 3pm games here, finishing at 4:30, in the middle of winter on a dark day is pushin it too.
We've lost Conrad Smith and Victor Vito . Should be a good 'un.

QuoteOriginally posted by Scottnorwo Quote
You guys need the challenge of getting those shots with a K10. Highest iso of 1600. Makes for lots of crossed fingers and anticipation. My shots in these conditions are of American soccer.
I did a few with my *istDs, not much fun! I've done a bit of soccer too, quite different from rugby in approach, more of a "stay where you are and they'll come to you eventually" approach, not exactly of course.

QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote
Great action shots! I've had my fair share of shooting sports, and getting good face shots with emotion's tough.

How's the sigma working out for you? I hope to one day own that lens, but probably not for a long time.
I have the non-DG, non-macro, non-HSM version. It's great! Got it second hand when I went into a shop to buy a 70-300 one day!
05-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #15

Arpe - it was an amazing second half by the Canes (against the Reds - seems like a distant memory now though). I was disappointed at the time but am now glad that the Reds missed the finals - we would've struggled to find 15 guys to put in the field and no good would come from being smashed in a semi over in SA.

Anyway, I took my K-x & DA L 55-300mm along to the Reds- Highlanders on Saturday night. I had a few DOF issues so wasn't too happy with many of my shots. My favourite (other than numerous shots of Sean Hardman in his 148th and final game) was probably this one of Samo practicing line-outs;

The rest can be found here.