Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Desoto Falls
Lens: da 16-45 Camera: K100D super Photo Location: Alabama ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/2s Aperture: F22 
Posted By: slowpez, 05-03-2010, 09:58 AM

This was taken last year in Little River Canyon and, although it was almost 1:00 PM, the overcast day allowed me to take the shot. As always, I recognize the need for improvement and any advice you can give will be welcome.

Thanks, Susan

Last edited by slowpez; 05-08-2010 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Old post
Views: 1,530
05-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
OK guys, a bump to try and get a comment. If it is bad give me an idea on improving it the next time I go there. Thanks, Susan
05-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is a great photo. I like the effect you created with a long shutter speed. If you could improve it, I would say that the falls are not completly straight with the horizon and some PP could be done to add some contrast. But overall this photo is really interesting for the subject and the sharpness of the photo.
05-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I actually think it's a good photo Susan

05-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
JMR
Veteran Member

The image and the lighting is fairly good. If you had brilliant sunshine, there would be deep shadows in the rocks, which is not bad if you can balance them. I think the image would look better if you could possibly take the shot without including the rocks in the foreground. It would have been a nice rhythm of silky falls. I know this is sometimes easier said than done.

JMR
05-05-2010, 07:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by miss_alexx Quote
This is a great photo. I like the effect you created with a long shutter speed. If you could improve it, I would say that the falls are not completly straight with the horizon and some PP could be done to add some contrast. But overall this photo is really interesting for the subject and the sharpness of the photo.
Thanks miss alexx. My attempts to straighten these falls fell short. They were angled if memory serves and I couldn't figure out which side should be the straight one. I'm going to give it another go with some added pp for contrast. My skills are a little better now with pp so hopefully I can do a better job. Thanks a lot for your help and comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by PentX Girl Quote
I actually think it's a good photo Susan
Thank you Jan.

QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
The image and the lighting is fairly good. If you had brilliant sunshine, there would be deep shadows in the rocks, which is not bad if you can balance them. I think the image would look better if you could possibly take the shot without including the rocks in the foreground. It would have been a nice rhythm of silky falls. I know this is sometimes easier said than done.

JMR
Thank you JMR. I know we will return to these falls sometime and I will see what I can do about the angle. Just can't remember the layout of the area now. I appreciate your input.

Thanks all, Susan
05-05-2010, 07:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like it Susan! But somehow the angle of the falls are a bit awkward. I know, they are not realy tilted, it must be the perspective, but I'm not very happy with that. But for the rest it is a perfect photo!!

05-05-2010, 08:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Rense. If anyone wants to take a shot a straightening the darn thing I would be appreciative. I can't seem to get to come out looking right.
05-05-2010, 08:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My attempt at straighening

I ended up with this after using the cascade on the far right as the one to be level one. Still not sure if it looks any better. Did a little pp on contrast too. I also tried a vertical crop to eliminate most of the foreground rocks which I won't bore you with here but seems to be an improvement.

Last edited by slowpez; 05-08-2010 at 04:52 AM.