Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
puppy with da bone!
Lens: Vivitar [Komine] 24mm Camera: K20D Photo Location: Limerick, Ireland 
Posted By: rparmar, 05-03-2010, 03:56 PM

puppy with da bone!

These were shot with the Vivitar 24mm f/2 [Komine made] by getting down and dirty with the puppy. Boy, he sure loves his bone!

I think this works best as a series but like the chewing action in #4 and 5. Usual PP plus I toned down the saturation. This lens captures more colour than this -- love it! Click through for larger in Flickr.
Views: 1,490
05-07-2010, 01:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Robin, these are wonderful! I love the first one best.
I don't understand why this series did not
get any comments yet....

This is one of the lenses on my wish list... and YOU caused this!!!
05-07-2010, 01:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Wow, thanks Rense. I know they are just snapshots, but this is one case having a prime was better than using my DA12-24mm. First of all because the pup kept running into the camera!

I have only had one bargain lens find in my photographic history and this was it. Though it's not in perfect shape finding an f/2 in KA mount was lucky.
05-07-2010, 01:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Robin, how would you compare this 24mm to the 28's? Apart from the FoV, of course....

05-07-2010, 03:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Great series Robin...super

cheers

Neil
05-09-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Robin, how would you compare this 24mm to the 28's? Apart from the FoV, of course....
It's amazing. It is certainly as good as the best 28mm versions I have.

But I do notice the FOV difference between 24mm and 28mm a lot. To my eye 28mm looks better, more relaxed. Whereas 24mm looks a little forced sometimes. Perhaps this lens has more distortion and that contributes?

But I use it anyway. For some reason I grab it before the multitude of 28mm lenses I have. I cannot say why.
05-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great series Robin, I especially like the last one. Translated into NYC speak..."You want this bone? Fughedaboudit!"

NaCl(or you could try trading a few fingers for the bone)H2O
05-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great series, Robin - he's livin' the dog's life for sure.

Jer

05-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
It's amazing. It is certainly as good as the best 28mm versions I have.

But I do notice the FOV difference between 24mm and 28mm a lot. To my eye 28mm looks better, more relaxed. Whereas 24mm looks a little forced sometimes. Perhaps this lens has more distortion and that contributes?

But I use it anyway. For some reason I grab it before the multitude of 28mm lenses I have. I cannot say why.
i have just bought the exact same lens off ebay ... and it is good to know it is as good as the best 28mm version.

one thing about this lens is that it really render colors on the cold side on a digital body.
maybe it is just the coating which tricks the white balance of the camera. I typically have to set WB to cloudy when it should be Sunny for a DA lens.

On top of that, I have to tweak the color cast towards magenta by at least 2 stops to get a neutral balance.

with the tweaking, the lens produces pleasing colors and good contrast.

sharpness is decent and usable wide open (unlike some "fast" lens).

However, at f4 i don't see a significant advantage over the DA 16-45 (a bit disappointing at that).

I have the lens for just over a week and more shooting is required for a definitive opinion. But so far this is my first impression.
05-13-2010, 06:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by badbrother Quote
i have just bought the exact same lens off ebay.
Nice one!

I have never really noticed white balance issues. But then again I don't with any lens. Any really screwed up shot I fix in ACR with the temperature slider and the rest I auto-balance in Photoshop. Almost never do I have an issue.

I don't find these lenses that great wide open but stopped down one they are fine. So in this case I can use f/2.8 and this gives an advantage of light over the zooms.

Certainly the DA 16-45 or 12-24 would be hard to beat at f/4. But that's because Pentax lenses rock.

Where the prime is handier is that it is smaller and less obtrusive for when a dog lunges at you. Plus I hate fiddling with all that annoying zooming stuff.