Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Accidental Bug Shot
Lens: DA35/2.8 Ltd Camera: Kx Photo Location: my front yard ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/150s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: twokatmew, 05-04-2010, 09:00 PM

I'm having my front porch restored and driveway replaced, so I went out to take some photos before the work starts. I'd only planned to take some quick snaps, so of course I had no monopod or tripod, and I was wearing sun glasses....

I thought I'd take a few close-ups of the bushes by the porch, when I saw this bug crawling on my burning bush. As I wasn't prepared for shooting bug macros, it's not nearly as sharp (nor did I get as close) as I'd like. But I captured a bug in less than ideal conditions!

Any idea what kind of insect this is? C & C appreciated too.

Views: 2,202
05-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There's a co-incidence, I took this shot yesterday and think it is the same insect. I believe it is some type of wasp but can't recall it's proper name.

05-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yikes! Had I known it was a wasp, I wouldn't have gotten as close as I did! That is a coincidence indeed.

Did you use flash? I like the black background.
05-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes I had to use a flash as it was in the shade of the Frangipani Tree.

05-05-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is a wasp indeed, as far as I can say. Not the kind of stinging lemonade wasps, but one that lays it's eggs on an other insect. So it's a very usefull one!!

Nice capture for the circumstances and equipment!
05-05-2010, 06:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, Rense!
05-05-2010, 07:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I second Rense's diagnosis - totally harmless to humans. Despite your less than ideal equipment, you caught the wonderful metallic blue quite well. I'm pretty sure it's a blue mud dauber, which means it comes out sort of neutral on the beneficial/harmful scale - they build mud chambers (thus the name) to lay their eggs in, and stock them with paralyzed spiders. So they're not going to eat your plants or sting you (unless you grab one and squish it), but they also prey on a beneficial critter. On the other hand, the adults feed on nectar, so they probably contribute to pollination. Very pretty, though. Now you'll have to set out with your bug-shooting gear and get purposeful shot of one!

Julie

05-05-2010, 07:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, Julie! I googled, and sure enough it's a Blue Mud Dauber, just as you said.

I don't know how to do a 100% crop, but I enlarged the image to 100% and cropped around the wasp. As you can see, the image is definitely less than stellar, but I was amazed to find my Kx and DA35 had captured the wasp's colors and geometric shapes. I was trying to hold very still, but I wasn't all that successful, being so close to my subject.

I just ordered new glasses, and I got clear lenses this time instead of Transitions, so I should be able to see more clearly when I'm shooting!