Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Parasol
Posted By: Mike Cash, 07-28-2007, 02:30 AM

You just have to love a country where the ladies still carry parasols. You can't not be elegant with a parasol.

Views: 1,745
07-28-2007, 03:36 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I don't know Mike. I love the shot, and from the angle she looks very elegant to me. Japan has some of the most elegant women in the world. I attribute this to the culture and upbringing. I think the Parasol adds mystique and beauty to a woman who is already beautiful.
07-28-2007, 04:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lately there have been some pictures posted here of various subjects that simply make me say WOW. This is certainly one of those shots. The lighting is great, From the backdrop to the skin tone and the darker areas of the dress. The shot from behind adds a little mystery to the picture. The background/backdrop? gives the photo a painting like quality with a bit of a 3D look. I'm assuming the shot was staged correct? (that looks like a studio backdrop set up outside somewhere). Or did you take the shot and remove the background and add this effect? There does seem to be a difference in the lighting between the subject and the background. It improves the shot whichever way it was done and adds to the depth or 3D look of the shot.

The only thing I would suggest to improve the shot (and this is being picky for sure) would be to remove the parasol strap from the shot. She has a nice neck that adds to the elegance of the subject and the overall shot. The strap distracts from that IMHO.

Thanks for sharing, great work!!!
07-28-2007, 05:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not staged. Just my standard catch-as-catch-can shot from the driver's seat while stuck in traffic. She was killing time while waiting for a bus. I don't know how long she was waiting, but it couldn't have been longer than the hour and a half I spent working on the layer mask on this photo.

Here's the original:

There's a little bit of irony there, perhaps, for those who can read Japanese. It's a sign put up to protest a high-rise going up across the street. Protesting because it will block out the sunlight and leave some houses pretty much permanently in the shade. At least there is a day coming when no one will need a parasol at that bus stop.

Shot with an S-M-C Takumar 135/3.5 and manipulated via The GIMP.

07-28-2007, 07:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

That is a great capture - good PP and your story on the sign adds some irony to the story ! Well done.
07-28-2007, 07:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

MIke I like the orginal and the new one. Great little story as well.
07-28-2007, 08:25 AM   #7
Bud
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mike,

That's great! Thanks for sharing.

Bud