Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

My First Attempts
Posted By: nate_b, 05-05-2010, 01:15 AM

As mentioned in my previous post (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/100228-abstract-section-...1-12-13-a.html), I was in Malibu, CA this past weekend for my cousin's graduation from Pepperdine University. During and after the ceremony, I made my first attempts at candid street photography. It's a style I love and admire, but hadn't attempted until now. That being said, here's what I have to show from my inaugural effort. All but the last are from the graduation ceremony at the University. The last is from the pool later that day. Thanks for looking, as always.

Last edited by nate_b; 05-05-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Views: 3,210
05-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Very good first attempt Nate. We can always do with more street shooters on the forum

Don't be discouraged by folk who shoot people & say that off the hip shots are wrong. Most people feel pretty strongly against it, but it's the image that matters in the end.

Keep up the good work.
im new....what does off the hip mean?

05-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hockmasm Quote
When you are shooting discreetly without your eye to the viewfinder. Say for example you hold the camera at your chest. Basically, the aim is to attract as little attention as you can when shooting off/from the hip. Mostly they will have a 'look' to them if they are not composed well.

It takes some practice to compose correctly without your eye to the view finder.
05-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hockmasm Quote
firing from the holster, without using the sights to aim
05-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Very good first attempt Nate. We can always do with more street shooters on the forum

Don't be discouraged by folk who shoot people & say that off the hip shots are wrong. Most people feel pretty strongly against it, but it's the image that matters in the end.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks for the encouragement, Carl. I'm a big fan of your work, so it means a lot to me that you took the time to reply. Regarding shooting off/from the hip, I know it's something I'll continue to do. Shots 2,5 & 8 were all off/from the hip, and they wouldn't have been possible (advisable) otherwise. Thanks again, Carl.

05-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #20
Inactive Account

I haven't attempted street photography yet. I really like the shot of the woman in the hat =)
05-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply, Christina. I'm glad you like that shot. If/when you attempt some "street" candids of your own, I hope you'll share them with us.