Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
'81 Corvette
Lens: DA 15 Limited Camera: K20D Photo Location: Clute, TX ISO: 100 
Posted By: Sailor, 05-05-2010, 02:13 PM

A few weeks a friend and former professional colleague bought an '81 Vette - the last year, accordng to him, of the carbureted 350 engine - is a 4-spd, two-tone model that was hard to expose properly - given the significant constrast between jet black and light silver. Utimately, I settled on +0.5 - 1.0 EV compensation and then played around with curves to get something I'll keep. The last one is an experiment with the clarify tool in PSP X that gives - to my eye - a poor man's HDR look. Some of the others received a lighter clarify treatment.

BTW, the coral colored '57 Fury also belongs to a good friend of mine, a Mopar guy whoose collection includes a '71 440 Magnum/4-spd Challenger convertable.

Jer

Views: 2,334
05-07-2010, 01:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice Jer, although they look a bit underexposed to me.
Looks like a car that puts most of it's energy in noise,
not in speed
05-07-2010, 02:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hey Jer, cool car and I can see why exposure was a bit tricky - there's a lot of contrast in that 2 tone.
But I have to say, I would love to see pictures of it on the road or in a car park etc I find that I'm not much of a fan of cars on grass these days...
05-07-2010, 05:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

These are some nice looking shots sailor! I think you did very well with the exposures as that is a difficult scene to meter. I also like the composition that you used on these shots; by getting low with the car it really gives a nice perspective.

Thanks for sharing,
Cory

05-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You going to the car show tomorrow at Ellington?

Houston Airport System
05-07-2010, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Nice Jer, although they look a bit underexposed to me.
Looks like a car that puts most of it's energy in noise,
not in speed
Thanks, my friend. Yeah, I probably should have opened up a bit more when I shot 'em - as I said, the car's color combo was, for me, hard to manage. Vettes of this era only had about 190 HP, so they weren't the fire breathers they are today.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Hey Jer, cool car and I can see why exposure was a bit tricky - there's a lot of contrast in that 2 tone.
But I have to say, I would love to see pictures of it on the road or in a car park etc I find that I'm not much of a fan of cars on grass these days...
Hey Jason, the car was stuck in a show and grass was part of the deal. Maybe I can shoot this one on concrete one of these days.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
These are some nice looking shots sailor! I think you did very well with the exposures as that is a difficult scene to meter. I also like the composition that you used on these shots; by getting low with the car it really gives a nice perspective.

Thanks for sharing,
Cory
Thanks, Cory. I appreciate the kind words.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
You going to the car show tomorrow at Ellington?

Houston Airport System
I'll have to miss it, unfortunately. I'm in California at the moment.

Jer
05-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Nice shots Jer-Kind of makes me nostalgic for the muscle car days. I'm the one with the 68 Roadrunner and my buddy had the 426 Ford.I like the exposures on your photos. I think that if you made them lighter you would have lost the subtle color on the vette--capt. zap

Attached Images

05-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Nice shots Jer-Kind of makes me nostalgic for the muscle car days. I'm the one with the 68 Roadrunner and my buddy had the 426 Ford.I like the exposures on your photos. I think that if you made them lighter you would have lost the subtle color on the vette--capt. zap
Thankee' Capn' for the nice words. Man, you look cool with that Roadunner - 383 if I remember correctly (I think you could also get it with a 440 or Hemi if you wanted to spend the bucks) and it could go like stink.

The Mustang shot is - to me - incredible, because I bought a Mach I of identical color that year - only mine only had a 351 not the 428 (which was a great street engine, BTW); I was a poor grad student and just couldn't scrape together the extra cash to get the big mill (and I never financed cars - then or now).

Anyway, thanks for posting these - the Roadrunner is a classic Mopar and the Mustang brings back memories (although it was my last 'Stang - I traitorously jumped to a Camaro in '71).

Jer