Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First image from Record holding lens.
Posted By: Peter Zack, 07-28-2007, 06:18 AM

Yeah the title is a bit of a joke. I just picked up a new Tamron 28-75mm. (officially: Tamron SP AF Aspherical XR Di LD (IF) 28-75mm 1:2.8 Macro) That has to be the longest name designation (record holder?) on a lens out there.

Anyway after watching a few FA* 28-70mm's sell for more than the original retail on auction, I decided to give this lens a shot. It was late when I picked it up last night an this is the first shot I tried with it. Looks OK so far.

Just a little straightening and cropping no other PP. @ 75mm, f13, 1/320, ISO 200 Shot in RAW.

Edit: Now that I see the image posted here there is some sort of artifact (looks like sharpening) around the farm tractor that is not in the original shot or the resized version to upload it. I wonder why that is?

Attached Images

Last edited by Peter Zack; 07-28-2007 at 06:43 AM.
Views: 3,019
07-28-2007, 07:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice scenary Peter - I have this lens as well . It is a good low light performer and wonderfull for portraits. I have not done too much Macro stuff yet. I am not sure about the shapening question - could be a by product of the rezise, if it is not in the original I would not worry too much about it.

I was surprised how much I missed the wide end after I bought it. Sometimes 28 mm just does not cut it , still very happy with this lens and looks like you will be to.
07-28-2007, 08:30 AM   #3
Bud
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shot, Peter! I, too, have the Tamron 28-75 and it is my favorite "walk-around" lens. Sharp, contrasty... just right ...
07-28-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Really great photo. Love the composition, shapes, colors, everything.

07-28-2007, 10:33 AM   #5
m8o
Veteran Member

yup, got the lens, and a few other people I know of. Surprised the heck out of me my 1st day of shooting (pix). There's a couple of pics I'm proud of with it in my intro thread linked to in my sig. Enjoy! Neat shot there as well.
07-28-2007, 12:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The artifacts look like jpeg compression artifacts, not sharpening artifacts. At least to me.
07-28-2007, 09:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That's a great shot right there, Peter. Kudos!

I'm also looking to buy that Tamron, since I don't think I'd be able to buy an FA* in my life. When I finally earn that much money, there might be no one selling anymore, or the prices have gone much higher again. Good to know that the Tamron's an able performer (of course, in the right hands, as with any lens).

07-29-2007, 12:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Amazing mood from the sunset hours.

Congrads on the purchase too

07-29-2007, 03:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
A few more on the 2nd day

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I was pretty happy with the first image out of the camera as well. I had a little time to use it on the 2nd day as we had 3 tall ships in visiting Summerside PEI on Saturday. Always a little hard to shoot as the crowds get pretty large. Here's a few more shots, no award winners but they show a little better what the lens can do. So far I think this lens is a keeper. Picture quality seems nice, Looking at the original RAW files the images are sharp and it focuses lighting fast on the K10. I'd say if you are in the market for this zoom range, give this lens a serious look.

The one with the guys in the rigging looks like a little pirate justice (hanging) was levied!

As for the compression/resize artifacts I see it in these shots as well. Maybe I'm causing this when I reduce the size for posting, or the site does (I'm no webmaster!!). Its too bad, since you can't really see the real quality of the images on my screen (particularly the last one with all the rigging).

Pictures removed to save space!!

Last edited by Peter Zack; 09-04-2007 at 08:57 AM.