Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Wasp Watch
Lens: Tamron 90mm Macro Camera: Pentax Kx Photo Location: Texas ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F4.7 
Posted By: ggeorge11, 05-06-2010, 03:22 PM

Some of my shots with my new Tamron 90mm Macro. I am doing a every other day picture set of the wasp nest on my home. The snail was moving across the sidewalk the other morning, and I could not resist

Attached Images

Views: 1,777
05-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You might want to get the eyes a little more in focus. In #1 & 3 it looks like the focus was just a little further back. I see you had the aperture set at 4.7 and I would shoot around f/11 if you can. Maybe your fighting for light which is a problens when doing macro because I see your shooting at ISO 800. You want to try to keep that low also if you can.
Nice shots otherwise.

The Tamron is a very capable lens and I believe you will enjoy it a lot.

Hope you don't mind the input.

Last edited by OrenMc; 05-07-2010 at 02:50 AM.
05-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks, I do not mind at all. That is the only way a person can get better. I was fighting a lot of things, like standing on a bucket, low light, and others as well. But I am trying to get better at it. The ISO may have been different, I will take a look at the EXIF data. It is unreal what this lens can do, with some practice. I really need to get a ring flash though.

Last edited by ggeorge11; 05-06-2010 at 07:41 PM.
05-07-2010, 12:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ggeorge11 Quote
Thanks, I do not mind at all. That is the only way a person can get better. I was fighting a lot of things, like standing on a bucket, low light, and others as well. But I am trying to get better at it. The ISO may have been different, I will take a look at the EXIF data. It is unreal what this lens can do, with some practice. I really need to get a ring flash though.
Great shots, but I agree with Oren about the focus, and high ISO. But that said, I think these shots are great anyway.

Are you brave enough to use flash in this situation? I would doubt if I would do that, because of the risk of stinging wasps. But if you want take the risk, you should try the DIY macro flash diffuser that was introduced here by grzehoofr, a fellow forum member. I've got a "How to" on my blog. I think it's better than a ring flash (and a lot cheaper!)