Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Current B&W Project
Posted By: jmax, 07-29-2007, 12:02 PM

I’m primarily a B&W photographer and I'm currently working on a project that involves photographing grain elevators in the northwestern Texas area. This is my first attempt at using my new K10D instead of medium and large format film for something like this. I haven’t decided yet, but these images may be part of an exhibit that will go up in September.

I’ve always loved seeing these structures when traveling across the Texas Panhandle and Plains. You can see them miles away and there is almost a surreal element because of their immense size relative to their surroundings. This surreal element is part of what I’m trying to capture in my images.

To get the images I want usually requires getting fairly close to the subject and using a wide angle. Of course, this is going to result in considerable lean and tilt of the structures. If I were concerned with capturing reality I would have used my Sinar 4x5 (and shot color), but I’m now wondering if the distortions may be too distracting--especially in the horizontal images. They don’t bother me and, up to now, I haven’t worried about them but . . .?

Duke, my Weimaraner, has been unimpressed so far and thinks we should get back to the regular outdoor stuff.

Here are some example shots from the project.

Post, Texas f/6.7 @ 1/250 35mm

http://www.fineart-photography.com/post.jpg

Happy, Texas f/8 @ 1/750 24mm

http://www.fineart-photography.com/happy.jpg

Wilson, Texas f/6.7 @ 1/200 28mm

http://www.fineart-photography.com/wilson4.jpg

Petersburg, Texas f/8 @ 1/700 24mm

http://www.fineart-photography.com/petersburg.jpg
Views: 2,237
07-29-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't think any photographer would take exception to the distortion in your images. Maybe Duke is just jealous and wants a K10D of his own. Love your black and white conversion. Care to share your processing steps?

Tim
07-29-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I think these structures render themselves perfectly to black and white representation.

I played with one of them in CS2 for a minute and removed most of the tilt. Personally I like it either way; my mind's eye compensates for the image distortion.

What do you think?

Last edited by J.Scott; 08-18-2007 at 01:25 AM.
07-29-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I, too love those grain elevators Joe. And in your hands the K10D captures them exceptionally! Might even get to take pictures of some myself, as I am heading up to Ft. Worth today, and visiting Saginaw.

Have any train pictures? I see railroad tracks.

Jeff's edited versions don't look right. The perspective of the original is just right, because one always looks up at these giants.

07-29-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great photos, really great conversion - great range of tones, punchy but not over the top, nicely done!

Regards,
D
07-29-2007, 06:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think these photos have problems.

As you describe: "surreal element because of their immense size relative to their surroundings. This surreal element is part of what I’m trying to capture in my images." is missing from your images. They are boring captures of subject matter that I agree with as you describe it - interesting structures with stories. You say you aren't interested in capturing reality yet this is exactly what has been done.

To me they appear to be point and shoot snapshot compositions: lots of distracting elements, standard views. Also, except for sample reworked above, they all appear to lack tonal range giving weak feeling, opposite of impression these huge structures usually impart.
07-30-2007, 03:24 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Donald has a point - they are kind of dull pictures. Maybe get up close and use a fisheye lens, or find some areas showing dramatic shadowing or contrast. Try some dramatic PP in photoshop, too. I think there could be surreal elements to these structures, you just haven't displayed them yet.

Good luck and keep trying.

07-30-2007, 08:28 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your input guys.

Regarding the conversions, I'd probably be one of the last you'd want to ask since I'm pretty new at it. I've used earlier versions of Photoshop, but right now I'm just using Elements and conversions consists primarily of using a Hue/Saturation layer to desaturate and lighten or darken the different colors.

As far as correcting the distortions via Photoshop, if doing so will have the same effect on sharpness as it appears to have in the above example, then I don't really think it would be an option considering the size prints I'll be making.
07-30-2007, 10:07 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jmax Quote
Thanks for your input guys.

Regarding the conversions, I'd probably be one of the last you'd want to ask since I'm pretty new at it. I've used earlier versions of Photoshop, but right now I'm just using Elements and conversions consists primarily of using a Hue/Saturation layer to desaturate and lighten or darken the different colors.

As far as correcting the distortions via Photoshop, if doing so will have the same effect on sharpness as it appears to have in the above example, then I don't really think it would be an option considering the size prints I'll be making.
You are right, the corrected version I posted shows significant degradation in sharpness. But keep in mind I started with your heavily compressed jpg's from your website. Starting with a larger jpg or RAW image may show far less loss of sharpness when corrected in Photoshop CS2 or CS3.
07-30-2007, 10:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Nice enough, but as someone already suggested, if you want surreal, don't worry about distortion and try it with a fisheye. And get in closer - in my minds eye (which sees all sorts of impossible things, remember!) I see a massive, distorted elevator looming on the left, taking up a good 2/3 of the frame, with a distant view occupying the rest to give you that contrast of huge, looming structure with otherwise featureless landscape.

One of the shots had bushes and a chainlink fence in the foreground - is there anything other than brambles, poisonous plants, snakes and biting insects keeping you from getting right up to the fence? Seriously, getting up close enough to keep that out of the foreground and accepting the distortion might get you what you're after.

Try the channel mixer for B&W conversion - Godfrey over at dpreview posted a detailed guide to his workflow a while ago. Seems to work well. Do a search, if you can't find it, let me know, I must have a copy somewhere on my HD...

Julie
07-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure I buy the "snapshot" comments, particularly in the last three pictures, which I like a great deal. These photos are from a stark part of the country and reflect that very well.

I wish we'd get some clear skies here in coastal Texas - all we see is rain and I want to go sailing!!

Jer