Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
How to ruin your PP work by leaving the resizing to your hosting service
Lens: Voigtlander 125mm Camera: K10D Photo Location: Roof of our NYC home ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: m8o, 05-09-2010, 10:34 PM

I caught up with a small fraction of my PP work this weekend. I decided to share one I especially loved of the mrs in the Voigtlander appreciation thread. After uploading it to my hosting service as I normally do, uploading full-rez and letting Fotki resize it to 800px wide, I noticed how 'harsh' the image looked when I looked at the image with my Latitude E6500, which always lets me know if I've every over-sharpened something with its bright contrasty display; jaggies made me quite embarrassed in thinking I'd done something quite wrong w/the sharpening. It certainly doesn't have all those jaggies when you click the "full rez" link below the photo here.
http://public.fotki.com/m8o/dogs-life/vivi-in-nyc/imgp4548-2.html
Then click "Get Original Uploaded Photo" at the bottom of the photo. I've found that link changes, so I can't link directly there.

So I decided to experiment and make a 800px wide version and upload it to Fotki to ensure that the service's own resize util doesn't kick in. ...I think the difference is quite clear. The 1st image is with Fotki resizing from full rez, the 2nd image is me resizing it out of Lightroom -- which performs a target resolution aware sharpening -- to the rez it will be hosted at:

Especially notable to me is that one hair that goes off to the left of the dog's neck, even with the bottom of her chin. Where it's a subtle single pixel hair of uniform color and brightness in the 2nd image, the hair cycles from white to black several times in the 1st image.

...so I found another thing to dis-like about Fotki...
This completely changes everything regarding letting whatever hosting service I will use perform the re-sizing for me.

Last edited by m8o; 05-13-2010 at 08:11 AM. Reason: edited the link to the original
Views: 1,699
05-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Boy, a few hours after writing this I was thinking maybe I should have shot to make this an article. But w/the lack of interest overall, I guess not.
05-13-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Wow! what a difference. I would say as much differnece as what I would expect from a $1k+ lens vs a sub $100 lens (Rough soulless rendering vs better than real life). Thanks for sharing.

P.S: I rarely visit and post here anymore, but I should......
05-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the first rules of online photos...Don't let the hosting service mess with your pics!

Steve

05-13-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

same thing for facebook

i always reseize my stuff to about 550-600 pix on the long edge and the quality is MUCH better than FB's own compression algorithm
05-13-2010, 08:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been resizing myself, but maybe not small enough!
05-13-2010, 09:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Shocking. Had no idea there was this much of a difference. Appreciate the heads up.