Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A dead dusty bee and others
Lens: smc 50mm f/1.4 w/ 50mm extension tubes Camera: K20d Photo Location: around the house ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F13.5 
Posted By: enoeske, 05-10-2010, 06:45 AM

A few new ones:

Views: 2,060
05-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
superb compositions... wonderful variety of subject matter and creativity and execution... dave m
05-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Made my skin crawl... you captured some great detail with that bee. Perhaps a little too much. Or maybe I just don't like dead things...
05-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
superb compositions... wonderful variety of subject matter and creativity and execution... dave m
Thanks.
QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote
Made my skin crawl... you captured some great detail with that bee. Perhaps a little too much. Or maybe I just don't like dead things...
It is pretty detailed.

The shot above was edited on my laptop which has a terrible monitor for editing. Here's a second go at it on my main box. Its a little darker but I'm not sure which I like better. What do you think? Should I post em side by side?

05-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
The shot above was edited on my laptop which has a terrible monitor for editing. Here's a second go at it on my main box. Its a little darker but I'm not sure which I like better. What do you think? Should I post em side by side?
No need to repost side by side for me - I think the second looks better. Much more contrast, much more threatening-looking. Oh, and it's a wasp, not a bee! (Sorry, I'm an entomologist, it's nearly impossible for me not to correct this sort of thing...)

Julie
05-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #6

Very good work you have done here, the second one is much better.
05-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
No need to repost side by side for me - I think the second looks better. Much more contrast, much more threatening-looking. Oh, and it's a wasp, not a bee! (Sorry, I'm an entomologist, it's nearly impossible for me not to correct this sort of thing...)

Julie
Thanks, the second has gotten more comments so far.
Ug, thats even worse. No idea how that got in here with all the windows closed. I have a bee-phobia but I wasn't too worried with this shot. Still, I didn't touch it.

QuoteOriginally posted by gdog Quote
Very good work you have done here, the second one is much better.
Thanks. Thats 2 for the second one.

05-12-2010, 06:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
No idea how that got in here with all the windows closed. I have a bee-phobia but I wasn't too worried with this shot. Still, I didn't touch it.
I suppose there's no arguing with a phobia, but wasps aren't any worse or better than bees. If they're indoors, they're usually fixated on getting back out. Easy to catch - they're generally on a window, so you can place a glass over them, slip a piece of cardboard under the rim of the glass, take them outdoors and toss. If it's dead, you're definitely okay to touch it!

Foraging bees or wasps are completely harmless - they're busy, and as long as you don't bother them, they won't bother you. The problems arise if there's a nest. These usually have a flight path, and if you stand in the flight path, eventually you'll be asked to move along. I learned this through painful experience! So if there's a nest on your property in some out-of-the-way spot where people don't hang around, and the bees/wasps aren't bothering you, it's probably safe to ignore it.

This public service notice was brought to you by Friends of Pollinators.