Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
I'm Alive & Now I Present My Taste Of Egypt (warning lots of photos, please enjoy)
Lens: FA50, WR 18-55, DA10-17, DA* 50-135 Camera: K7 Photo Location: Egypt 
Posted By: Christopher M.W.T, 05-10-2010, 12:01 PM

Ok i've been quiet on here and it's because i've been busy travelling and taking photos, about 5000 to be exact, ok i'm sure not much is usable but there are some gems.

I have to admit my most used lens has been the DA WR 18-55 and I must admit for a cheap kit lens it has consistently delivered. From time to time I whip out the Fisheye for those special temples, the FA50 for night shots in the Luxor temple and the DA50-135 every now and then.

These photos are mostly untouched aside from a LR Profile I use which combines the Punch preset with the K7 camera profile. Originally using LR my photos kept coming out dull and lifeless until I found that changing the camera profile from adobe default to the K7 one really brought out the colour. My poor K7 has been exposed to all sorts of desert sands, water, soft drink, changing lenses the time etc. It's pretty much performed without any major hiccups, other than one strange freeze up which was cured by removed the battery. Only drama I'm having is the rear E-dial is really twitchy however I compensate by using the dial on the grip.

I have been using a cheap Cokin CPL I bought in Istanbul which I am both happy and disliking of as it adds a colour cast.

Now I present my taste of Egypt, please take the time to go through and give feedback, a lot went into this. I tried to get away from the usual Cliches of Pyramids etc.

Now first my Panorama of the Aswan Dam

& a Fisheye of the other side

Dahab Beach

Sahara Desert

People

Aswan Bridge

Mt Sinai Peak

The Pyramids, Temples & Ruins

Last edited by Christopher M.W.T; 05-10-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Views: 4,827
05-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
On the last photo you can see my shadow on the right hand side on the wall....
05-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FANTASTIC IMAGES
WOW

VOTED (if I could )
Thanks for sharing this images of your trip to Egypt!
05-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arbib Quote
FANTASTIC IMAGES
WOW

VOTED (if I could )
Thanks for sharing this images of your trip to Egypt!

Thanks I got more many of these were randomly selected.......I need a while to go through and process them all.

05-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i like your travelogue.... you've got a playful eye... some very nice shots in this series... thanx for sharing... dave m
05-10-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks I tried to get away from the usual pyramids, camels and palm trees of Egypt, so boring lol
05-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Thanks I tried to get away from the usual pyramids, camels and palm trees of Egypt, so boring lol
I love the night shots with the fisheye looking straight up, and the pic in the crypt. A couple of the other daytime shots could be improved simply by cropping the foreground - I find some of the out of focus foreground distracting, but that's just me.

05-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yer a few of the photos can do with cropping, I haven't had much (if any) time to edit.
05-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #9
Inactive Account

You weren't kidding about a lot of shots!

9th from the bottom looking up at the pylons looks very hot, but great. Nice work Chris.
05-11-2010, 07:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I really do love those Fish-Eye shots of yours

Thanks for sharing them with us
05-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow - seeing these made my day - very enjoyable! A wonderful job - I like the way you use the FE (I need to shoot with mine more often).

Jer
05-11-2010, 08:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
You weren't kidding about a lot of shots!

9th from the bottom looking up at the pylons looks very hot, but great. Nice work Chris.
VERY very tricky WB there, that was in Luxor.

I let the camera auto WB, when I tried auto WB in LR it just destroyed the colour completely.

If I used the Adobe camera profile the colours were very dull, this is done with the K7 camera profile, the image does need some colour tweaking.
05-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Wow - seeing these made my day - very enjoyable! A wonderful job - I like the way you use the FE (I need to shoot with mine more often).

Jer
It's easily my favourite lens, if used right is an excellent travel companion.

I find myself using it when shooting in nigthclubs as you can get up close and personal yet still capture a great amount of background action.
05-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I go on record to say that most of the night photos except the bridge one and a temple one, were taken hand held, the temple photos were mostly taken with the FA50 at about F1.8-2 and usually ISO around 800-1600. Images were very clean considering.

Considering the amount of dust, sand and abuse I've exposed my K7 to it's still going strong.

Ive been on quite an adventure in the last month, been stranded in South Korea and not been able to fly to London due to Volcanic ash, therefore ended up travelling to Cairo stopping in Tashkent Uzbekistan then from there by 7hr bus to Nuweiba, waited over 8hrs for a ferry to Aqaba in Jordan, took another bus to Amman, then travelled to Petra, then back to Amman then to Istanbul for the Gallipoli service then back to Cairo, then to Dahab where we snorkelled then climbed Mt Sinai then back to Cairo and finally 9 days touring Egypt, featuring two of the WORST train journeys of my life, 14hrs from Cairo to Aswan and then back. In that time I also spent 2 days cruising the Nile river on a felucca (a sail boat thats much like a giant mattress)
05-11-2010, 11:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Me with my K7

Last edited by Christopher M.W.T; 05-11-2010 at 11:52 AM.