Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Rubythroated hummingbirds have returned!
Camera: K20D Photo Location: Saugus Ma ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F16 
Posted By: charliezap, 05-10-2010, 02:14 PM

After a seemingly long winter hiatus the rubythroated hummingbirds have returned to the New England (Boston Ma) area.From my vantage point the sun at 10am was slightly overhead and behind the little guy.The first attempts showed no details because the right side of my pal was in the shadow of the sun.I ended up using the pop up flash on the k20 (Renselike) and that did the trick.Doing that limited my shutter speed to 1/180 f/16 ISO 800 but for the first go round this year the results look like keepers.These guys are small(2-3") plus fearless and the flash doesn't phase them a bit. ----CharlieZap

Last edited by charliezap; 01-21-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Views: 1,716
05-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rubythroated Hummingbirds

Hi Charlie,
nice lookin shots,
I'm jealous
had my feeder up 2 weeks already, not one taker, that'll change soon.
05-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like that first shot Charlie since its got the motion along with great detail and color. No idea you could do that at 1/180s with the onboard flash. Great job and I am convinced to put up my own hbird feeder tomorrow.
05-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Wow! What was the lens?

05-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

saugus must be special charlie, here, outside providence, can't entice any hummer to feed..
the 1st shot is spectacular !! dave m
05-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Hi Charlie,
nice lookin shots,
I'm jealous
had my feeder up 2 weeks already, not one taker, that'll change soon.
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I really like that first shot Charlie since its got the motion along with great detail and color. No idea you could do that at 1/180s with the onboard flash. Great job and I am convinced to put up my own hbird feeder tomorrow.
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Wow! What was the lens?
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
saugus must be special charlie, here, outside providence, can't entice any hummer to feed..
the 1st shot is spectacular !! dave m
Hummingbirds--where do I start?They say that HB's can live 7-8 yrs and can return to the same feeder again.Is this the same one that I had for the past several years?I would like to think so.I never have more than 2 all summer at the feeder but they appear every 20 min or so to feed for about 10sec.
I was very lucky to get away with 1/180s because he was perched in one shot and hovering motionless in the other.The onboard flash filled in very nicely--a first for me using it in this situation.I usually use my Vivitar 285 at the lowest setting which yields a flash duration of I believe around 1/20,000 sec that will stop the wings that beat at over 50 per sec.
The lens is my trusty cheapo Quantaray 70-300mm and it was set at 220mm from about 10ft away.I was real lucky to get the bird in good focus because at that distance the DOF +or- 1or2" from the subject is not very forgiving.
Right around the 1st week in May is when they show up til around Sept-Oct. You can be outside next to the feeder and take pics with or without flash from 1-2ft away as long as you don't make sudden threatening moves.Maybe if I'm lucky they will feed from my hand just like the laughing gulls did for me in Florida.--CharlieZap
05-11-2010, 03:10 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

Just a photo from last year showing how the quick flash duration stops the wing beat.The only drawback with this method is i sometimes miss the background which gives me something to work on this year.--charliezap
05-11-2010, 06:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nicely done Charlie. I have given up on getting pics of these guys. Did the flash cause vignetting in the corners that had to be cropped out?

05-11-2010, 07:40 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dang, Skipper, those are really good - I've tried with humming birds but I ain't got the touch.

Great job.

Jer
05-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Nicely done Charlie. I have given up on getting pics of these guys. Did the flash cause vignetting in the corners that had to be cropped out?
Hi Susan--vignetting usually happens if I use my wide angle.I've never noticed it on the shots that were taken with the tele lens.It takes a little patience to shoot these guys.I started years ago by sitting by the feeder wearing bright red clothing which really attracts them and when they got used to me I started using the camera when they were at arms lenght from me.I hope that answers your question--charliezap
05-11-2010, 01:08 PM   #11
Forum Member

Rubythroated hummingbirds have returned!

very good pictures! i love them all!!!!!!!
05-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by huskies4ever Quote
very good pictures! i love them all!!!!!!!
Hi Brandi-I'm pleased that you like the photos and I notice that you are a new member to the forum. Let me welcome you and hope that you enjoy the people and the postings and everything else that this site has to offer.-charliezap
05-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #13
Forum Member

Rubythroated hummingbirds have returned! Reply to Thread

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Hi Brandi-I'm pleased that you like the photos and I notice that you are a new member to the forum. Let me welcome you and hope that you enjoy the people and the postings and everything else that this site has to offer.-charliezap
i will, i like it already very nice site to be on! and very nice people too!!!!!!! and thanks!