Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Live the grand life; if you can afford it! (With Photos this time!)
Posted By: channeler, 07-30-2007, 12:16 AM

Second attempt at posting this. I found photobucket great at first and uploading photos was quick. Lately it's been very slow to won't upload at all. So I thought I'd link to photos via my own web space, but I'm having some problems uploading to that too at the moment. Anyhow, for the moment photobucket seems to be cooperating again.

Spent an afternoon at a stately home called Chatsworth House recently. Posted a photo of one of the ornaments I took a picture of in another section to get advice on PP. Thanks evryone who helped me out with that. Thought I'd post shots of a couple of the rooms. May be of interest to some and I'd also be grateful to know how others would tackle shots in such dimly lit, big spaces. I only have the camera's internal flash so I guess I'd have faired better with something more substantial; I need to save up. Both shots were with a K10D and the kit lens 18-55mm.

Paul

Recreation Room: 28mm, 1/45th, F4.0, ISO: 800, Flash

Dinner is Served: 18mm, 1/30th, F5.6, ISO: 800, Flash

Views: 2,854
07-30-2007, 01:23 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Excellent shots Paul, and beautiful settings. You did very well with the 18-55 kit. Nice rich colors.
07-30-2007, 05:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
I'd also be grateful to know how others would tackle shots in such dimly lit, big spaces. I only have the camera's internal flash so I guess I'd have faired better with something more substantial; I need to save up. Both shots were with a K10D and the kit lens 18-55mm.
I was thinking of re-decorating my living room...thanks for the ideas! (Kidding.)

As for these shots - with a bigger flash illuminating the entire room you would somewhat kill the ambient light, and hence the atmosphere. IMO there is no substitute for a sturdy tripod. You might have gotten away with ISO 1600 and a monopod, depending on the light.

Now, you could also have creatively placed a bunch of off-camera wireless flashes to try to keep the mood, but I think that is not possible in these places.

I like the second shot better because of the perspective - you could even have gotten a little lower to show more of that incredible ceiling.
07-30-2007, 05:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I really think these are very good. I find it interesting what some can do with the on board flash and the kit. Not the same combo in all. What I mean is my luck with the on board is never very flattering, you seem to have done a good job exposure wise. Nice job and good luck with your posting in the future.

07-30-2007, 09:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments everyone. You're right about the wireless flashes Pat; I don't think I'd have got away with them even if I did own any. It was difficult enough just pausing long enough to take a photo without creating a traffic jam; there was a constant through flow of visitors. For the same reasons a tripod would have been impossible to use though with the slow shutter speeds I ended up using it would certainly have been useful. The rooms, though dimly lit, did not appear as dark to the eye as they have come out in the photos, but I suppose I'd have lost too much DOF if I had gone for a larger aperture and I didn't want to go any higher than ISO 800.

Paul
07-30-2007, 05:05 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very enjoyable, Paul. The subdued colors are fetching. Looks pretty posh - I'd have to remember to keep my elbows off the table and my (Texas) Bud Lite can under it!

Thanks for posting. We don't see many images like these.

Jer
07-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

So that's what your house is like in the good old UK Paul
After you sell it you should be able to afford a small shack in the Okanagan

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing some of your countries treasure with us.

07-31-2007, 08:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Looks pretty posh - I'd have to remember to keep my elbows off the table and my (Texas) Bud Lite can under it!

Jer
And normally these places usually have an armoury of cutlery on the table and I wouldn't know where to start. Looking at the photo again though this one looks quite lightweight on cutlery. I think I could just about cope. They are either trying to save the servants doing a load of polishing or they're worried about the silver walking.

Paul

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
So that's what your house is like in the good old UK Paul
After you sell it you should be able to afford a small shack in the Okanagan

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing some of your countries treasure with us.
I wish Stu. Mind there is a downside. When you inherit from the previous Duke of Devonshire you often have to sell off a few acres and a picture or two (and I ain't talking about ones from the Pentax Forums Photo Gallery; as good as they are.) to pay death duties to the tax man . I think I could cope with that kind of hardship. With the way prices have been going up in the Okanagan since we first visited in June 2005 you could be right about the small shack though

Paul
07-31-2007, 05:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Paul very nice indoor shots...
07-31-2007, 05:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh, the "Lifestyles of Rich and Famous" - very appealing! Thanks for sharing!

Regards,
D
08-01-2007, 12:30 AM   #11

Very nice I would love to get in there when it was not crowded and be able to get some shots rp