Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Frozen in time--hummingbirds@1/30,000 sec
Posted By: charliezap, 05-12-2010, 02:55 PM

When the available light renders it almost impossible to get a good shot I have to revert to the speedlight that will literallly at 1/30,000 sec freeze these little guys.The 2nd shot caught him blinking.The last pic was just before I lost the light but I did use the flash as the "ghost in the wings show " All shots are at 1/180 sec but when the light fails the flash solely "paints the picture"I wish that more than one at a time would come to the feeder but I'm happy with what I have to work with at present They say these guys are good deep fried and dipped in sweet sauce---ONLY KIDDING---Charliezap

Last edited by charliezap; 01-21-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Views: 4,135
05-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Thanks for that explanation.

How did you trigger the flash? hot shoe or x-sync cable?
I used the hot shoe and waited with a glass of wine in hand.It's super easy to get decent pics.Later I'll post what my shooting lair looks like.The hardest part is having them notice the feeder and then returning.When they do return you can usually have the opportunity to capture 12 shots or so.Not all of them will be keepers but it's that one shot that makes the effort worthwhile.--charliezap

05-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #17
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Intriguingly unique captures of this natural marvel.
Well done.
05-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Great captures. The shots with the blurry wings I think are better. It gives the shot a sense of motion. It seems everyone always wants to freeze hummingbirds. I guess its because the challenge of it. But artistically, I think blurry is better. YMMV
05-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Great captures. The shots with the blurry wings I think are better. It gives the shot a sense of motion. It seems everyone always wants to freeze hummingbirds. I guess its because the challenge of it. But artistically, I think blurry is better. YMMV
I like the blurry photos at times.In about an hour or so I will have another thread posted as to where my"lair" is situated and will have a non frozen bird in it--charliezap