Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
Frozen in time--hummingbirds@1/30,000 sec
Camera: K20D Photo Location: SAUGUS MA Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: charliezap, 05-12-2010, 02:55 PM


When the available light renders it almost impossible to get a good shot I have to revert to the speedlight that will literallly at 1/30,000 sec freeze these little guys.The 2nd shot caught him blinking.The last pic was just before I lost the light but I did use the flash as the "ghost in the wings show " All shots are at 1/180 sec but when the light fails the flash solely "paints the picture"I wish that more than one at a time would come to the feeder but I'm happy with what I have to work with at present They say these guys are good deep fried and dipped in sweet sauce---ONLY KIDDING---Charliezap

Last edited by charliezap; 01-21-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Views: 3,609
05-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North of Canada
Posts: 612
The first thing I noticed about the second photograph was that you caught him blinking... and I thought "Wow, how fast does a Hummingbird blink"?
05-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
charliezap's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: saugus ma
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,345
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GingeM Quote
The first thing I noticed about the second photograph was that you caught him blinking... and I thought "Wow, how fast does a Hummingbird blink"?
This is the 2nd time this week that i caught a bird blinking.The first was a flicker feeding outback which i will post later.Maybe Rense (biologist) can answer the question?--charliezap
05-13-2010, 05:31 AM   #4
Senior Member
nirudha's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka
Posts: 136
Hey Charliezap, isn't "speedlight" a brand name for Nikon flash gear? Is that what you used here?

05-13-2010, 06:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,869
Awesome shots Charile. The first one is my favorite.
05-13-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
charliezap's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: saugus ma
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,345
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nirudha Quote
Hey Charliezap, isn't "speedlight" a brand name for Nikon flash gear? Is that what you used here?
I just mentioned "speedlight" in a generic term.Actually the flash that I use is a Vivitar 285HV.--charliezap
05-13-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
charliezap's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: saugus ma
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,345
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Awesome shots Charile. The first one is my favorite.
Thanks for the kind feedback---These guys believe it or not are easier to photograph than many birds.They are very fearless and put up with quite a lot with the camera and flash just several ft away--charliezap
05-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 48,239
That first shot is amazing- you don't get to see these little guys up-close every day, after all


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-14-2010, 02:58 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
charliezap's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: saugus ma
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,345
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That first shot is amazing- you don't get to see these little guys up-close every day, after all
Thanks Adam--One shot that I hope to take of him this summer is when he is hovering spread eagle facing me where you can see both wings clearly.In the span of a hour he's at the feeder a 1/2 dozen times or so and if I'm lucky I may get that shot--charliezap
05-14-2010, 04:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,689
Awesome shots!

Im curious you say 1/30,000, but the shutter speed is 1/180 of a second.

I woulda thought you might have used a tiny aperture, bulb mode and the flash itself to effectively work as the shutter.
05-14-2010, 04:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Singapore
Posts: 384
Great shots

I really wish to be able to do these
05-14-2010, 05:10 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,394
Incredibly well done, Capn'. Until now, I thought these birds were just hallucinations.

Wonderful piece of work, buddy.

Jer
05-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
charliezap's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: saugus ma
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,345
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Awesome shots!

Im curious you say 1/30,000, but the shutter speed is 1/180 of a second.

I woulda thought you might have used a tiny aperture, bulb mode and the flash itself to effectively work as the shutter.
If it was totally black I could have used bulb mode but at 1/180 sec @f11 or so if the flash didn't fire there would be a real real dark photo with nothing to show.The flash fires when the shutter is opened creating the shot.Look at it this way.Consider the time between the brackets to be 1/180.(--------------flash-----------).The flash has been tripped in the middle of the shutter being opened.I hope that this makes it seem sensible as to how the flash controls the picture--charliezap
05-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,689
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
If it was totally black I could have used bulb mode but at 1/180 sec @f11 or so if the flash didn't fire there would be a real real dark photo with nothing to show.The flash fires when the shutter is opened creating the shot.Look at it this way.Consider the time between the brackets to be 1/180.(--------------flash-----------).The flash has been tripped in the middle of the shutter being opened.I hope that this makes it seem sensible as to how the flash controls the picture--charliezap
Thanks for that explanation.

How did you trigger the flash? hot shoe or x-sync cable?
05-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Rense's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Zetten - The Netherlands
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,947
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
This is the 2nd time this week that i caught a bird blinking.The first was a flicker feeding outback which i will post later.Maybe Rense (biologist) can answer the question?--charliezap
Great photos Charlie!

And no, I don't know anything about birds, only about chicken in the oven....
Sorry!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, flash, light, photo, sec, shot
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What you didn't know about the SEC jeffkrol General Talk 5 11-12-2010 02:47 PM
Canon 7D $3,000 to modify or $5,000 & it's done Samsungian Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 1 02-20-2010 01:34 PM
50/71 sec ? FHPhotographer Photographic Technique 2 10-26-2009 07:59 PM
Trying SR with 1/6 sec hinman Post Your Photos! 12 04-26-2007 06:39 PM
Frozen in Time newtmaker Post Your Photos! 7 01-14-2007 05:54 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:43 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top