Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Bikinis and rivers and Mustangs, oh my!
Posted By: hamidlmt, 07-31-2007, 01:58 AM

Sue and I did a shoot out at the Sandy River this afternoon. All shot with the K10D. What fun!

See the entire series here: Hamid Shibata Bennett's photos - powered by SmugMug

Views: 3,393
07-31-2007, 06:25 AM   #2
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this is destined to become the most viewed thread on pentaxforums.com.... I like #1 & #4 the most. Thanx for posting ... a nice change to all the bugs and flowers and animals (all I do myself )
07-31-2007, 06:50 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Thansk for that. Tuesday afternoon just got a whole lot better.
07-31-2007, 07:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful pictures Hamid, thanks for posting

07-31-2007, 09:06 AM   #5
and
Veteran Member

wonderful shots! and as mentioned its a nice refreshment from what people normally post. I hope you will share all of your future session with us too, looking forward to them already

some comments on the photos (which btw are way way better than any portraits Ive done so take this with a grain of salt )

I like 1 the best because the posing looks very relaxed and natural and at the same time it works very well for the coposition.

in 2 its too bad u just missed the focus a bit so one eye is out cause its quite obvious in the otherwise really great picture. you know last time i was trying to shoot portrait that kept happening to me too! for some reason if the face was at an angle i was focusing on the eye closest to me but i only got the other eye in focus on 4 of 5 pictures.

the same focus thing happend on no 4 too but there its not that noticable so its not a big issue.

oh,regarding 4 im curious if u actually used a polarizer to be able to make the water so transparent?

These are natural light portraits right, altho no 2 kinda looks like at least a reflector was used.

I think to take these to the next level youre gonna need some more lighting, reflectors can do a lot. If you didnt use anything on these then yea most of them are great, but imo the last one is suffering from lack of extra light, the highlights on the treetops are too distracting,altho youd need a huge softbox to do something about it.

I think my summarizing conclusion is that you do a great job with natural light but when using natural light be carefull of the sun because if you are shooting with your subject in the shade and you get some sunpatches in the frame then they will distract. like in no 6 and also in no 3.

anyway, i think u did a superb job and i went to your smugsmug to see the rest of the series as well. nice to see people posting these kinds of shots here, keep them coming
07-31-2007, 09:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

great set....I really like your first one, and it gave me a great idea for a set I hope to do in the near future.
07-31-2007, 09:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Well composed - great subjects - makes today a better day for sure - might have to look tomorrow as well

07-31-2007, 02:56 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
wonderful shots! and as mentioned its a nice refreshment from what people normally post. I hope you will share all of your future session with us too, looking forward to them already

some comments on the photos (which btw are way way better than any portraits Ive done so take this with a grain of salt )

I like 1 the best because the posing looks very relaxed and natural and at the same time it works very well for the coposition.

in 2 its too bad u just missed the focus a bit so one eye is out cause its quite obvious in the otherwise really great picture. you know last time i was trying to shoot portrait that kept happening to me too! for some reason if the face was at an angle i was focusing on the eye closest to me but i only got the other eye in focus on 4 of 5 pictures.

the same focus thing happend on no 4 too but there its not that noticable so its not a big issue.

oh,regarding 4 im curious if u actually used a polarizer to be able to make the water so transparent?

These are natural light portraits right, altho no 2 kinda looks like at least a reflector was used.

I think to take these to the next level youre gonna need some more lighting, reflectors can do a lot. If you didnt use anything on these then yea most of them are great, but imo the last one is suffering from lack of extra light, the highlights on the treetops are too distracting,altho youd need a huge softbox to do something about it.

I think my summarizing conclusion is that you do a great job with natural light but when using natural light be carefull of the sun because if you are shooting with your subject in the shade and you get some sunpatches in the frame then they will distract. like in no 6 and also in no 3.

anyway, i think u did a superb job and i went to your smugsmug to see the rest of the series as well. nice to see people posting these kinds of shots here, keep them coming
I tend to shoot wide open or very close to it... so, if they eyes are on a different plane, one is often out of focus. Sometimes I really like the effect. Other times, I wish I had switched to f/4.

These are all natural light portraits. There are a few in the series that used the built-in flash (dialed down to -2.0). Out of the ones posted here, number 4 is the only one with fill-flash.

I used no reflectors or polarizers, just trying to find the best light in the situation.

Thanks for you extensive input... greatly appreciated!

And, thank you all! I truly appreciate the feedback!
07-31-2007, 03:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Great set, and beautiful subjects. Just turn the wheels on the car the other way, not perpendicular to the lens, just so you can see the centre of the wheel, will make it look heaps better rather than looking at the tread.
07-31-2007, 03:22 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I read "bikinis, and rivers and mustangs" in the thread title, but I don't see the rivers or mustangs. Oh wait, there they are. Took me a bit to see them. Great model!
07-31-2007, 03:27 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
Great set, and beautiful subjects. Just turn the wheels on the car the other way, not perpendicular to the lens, just so you can see the centre of the wheel, will make it look heaps better rather than looking at the tread.
yeah... I forgot to turn the wheels when she came around to the other side... just had my focus elsewhere I guess

07-31-2007, 04:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hamid I am jeaulous all I have is corn fiields and sunflowerss to take pictures of ....you have Hot models...Hot cars...great scenery...most importantly great shots...I enjoyed...
07-31-2007, 04:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Yeah, I saw that in the gallery.

Your portrait photography skills are astounding. I really like your style and am very jealous, not only of your access to models, lol, but that I have a total inability to take good portraits.

Top work, let us know when you have another session.
07-31-2007, 05:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
"Oh my..." is indeed right! Very attractive model, and those curves on the last 3 photos of the first post - Oh wait, yes, there is a mustang too!

Jokes aside - well done, lovely model, very appealing photos!

Regards,
D
07-31-2007, 06:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Beautiful river - such pretty water! Nice shiny car! Oh, there's a girl there too? (sorry couldn't resist after all the guy talk - sheesh - you all need to get out more often)