Another Suedo Tilt-Shift Boat
Lens: 18-55mm Camera: Pentax k-x 
Posted By: hockmasm, 05-16-2010, 11:04 PM

Views: 1,591
05-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why pseudo, and why is everything but the boat blurry? I haven't gotten a chance to play with my tilt/shift lens yet, so I'm fairly clueless as to what the results could be

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-16-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
i photoshped this to make the boat the only thing in focus.
05-16-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, the idea behind the tilt-shift effect is to create a sense of DOF. In this photo you only have the boat in focus, everything else to the left & right isn't.

Also the area of focus seems to end very sharply if you know what I mean.

05-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
i should re-title this. its not really tilt-shift now that i think about it
05-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tootall Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, the idea behind the tilt-shift effect is to create a sense of DOF...
The purpose of a tilt-shift lens is to provide perspective correction similar to what is possible with the movements on a view camera. They are most commonly used for architectural photography. The tilt also allows manipulation of the plane of focus to allow elements of a scene to be in focus despite limited DOF.

Unfortunately, the term "tilt-shift" has been commonly applied to photos taken with a Lens Baby or similar lens. It also can refer to photos that have been altered in software to give the illusion of highly selective focus. As noted on another thread, the Lens Baby "look" is more of a fuzzy lens with a movable region of sharper focus. This provides a number of creative affects that include the popular "miniaturized" look. For fun, I sometimes use "tilt-shift" software. Here is a LINK to a few examples.

Steve
05-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Selective focus using shift/tilt movements happens on plane of focus. With those trees taking up the full frame in the foreground, I doubt you'd be able to pull that kind of selective focus off for real without getting something of them in focus.