Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The jewel of Saugus Ma. and it's free!
Lens: PENTAX 18-250 Camera: K20D Photo Location: SAUGUS IRONWORKS ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: charliezap, 05-17-2010, 04:34 PM

Sunday was a beautiful day here in the Colonies and I had the option of sprucing up the downstairs or going out for a hour or so to take some pics.
The "Saugus Iron Works" is located 2 miles from my home and it is like stepping back in
time.The site has been preserved and reconstructed and it is open daily 9-5 April-Nov and the best part is there is no admission--free,zip,nada! At certain times of the year they have people dressed in period clothing and they have demonstrations of the working water wheel-bellows--blacksmith area.The fall time with the foliage is absolutely spectacular.The site is designated as a National Historic Park and if you are in the Boston area you should check it out.I may even spring for lunch--the operative word being "may" You can check out the particulars by searching "Saugus Iron Works" and it will give you more information than I can convey in just a paragraph or two--CharlieZap

Last edited by charliezap; 01-21-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Views: 3,513
05-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I like the clean, saturated colors you have going on here. Maybe a little too much warmth applied on the 2nd to last shot?

I'd say you made the right decision to go outside
05-17-2010, 07:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote
I like the clean, saturated colors you have going on here. Maybe a little too much warmth applied on the 2nd to last shot?

I'd say you made the right decision to go outside
You have a good eye my friend.I did make the 2nd picture a little warmer just to get an image in my mind of how that picture would potentially look with the gold-yellow--orange--colors of Fall time.This photo here serves 2 puposes.The first one is this is the area where they used to heat the iron to a molten state.Off to the right out of view is the biggest bellows that I have ever seen.The water wheel provided the power for the bellows which I believe is over 12ft long and at least 6ft high.That bellows produces an phenominal amount of air to "fan the flames" to melt the iron.The 2nd purpose is to remember my brother Joe who passed away last June.He went to the Iron Works with me that day and really enjoyed himself and a little over a year later he was gone.Hopefully his spirit and image will live forever in cyber space to be discovered by some individual looking back in time to see what we were all about.--charliezap
Attached Images

05-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A great series of crisp, colorful and well composed images, buddy. A very nice job.

Jer

05-18-2010, 06:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree with Jer. Well done. JIM
05-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Great shots, but a little too saturated for me.
05-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Great shots, but a little too saturated for me.
Well Kevin--I suppose that in your corner of the world you are used to everything being dark,dank,dismal,and dreary with only a semblance of vibrancy--only kiddingEverything was vibrant that day with cottonlike clouds in a royalblue sky and the grass is very green this time of year.I tend to make my scenics on the colorful side because many of them I make into postcards and T-shirts that the locals around here buy when my town "Saugus" has its Founders Day in September.---CharlieZap

05-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

looks like another road trip to a new scenic destination ! well done travel vista series...
thanks for the post, dave m
05-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
looks like another road trip to a new scenic destination ! well done travel vista series...
thanks for the post, dave m
If you ever make it up here let me know and I'll take you on the nickel tour. One mile from the Iron Works is the Saugus Lobster fleet mooring area which is another great photo op.--CharlieZap
05-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
If you ever make it up here let me know and I'll take you on the nickel tour. One mile from the Iron Works is the Saugus Lobster fleet mooring area which is another great photo op.--CharlieZap
only a nickel !! that's a deal.... can you buy fresh lobsta's from the dock!! my mouth's waterin'.... dave m
05-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
only a nickel !! that's a deal.... can you buy fresh lobsta's from the dock!! my mouth's waterin'.... dave m
Fresh hard shell lobster,are you kidding.My brother knew all the lobstermen down at the docks and they know me.need I say MoreIf you do plan on coming up here plan on taking a plethora of pics of the many Saugus Icons all within several miles from my home.I'm only 1/2Mile from US RTE 1.The pic here is one T-shirt that I made to wear when I go on vacation.It seems no matter where I go someone can relate to one of the photos on the shirt.--charliezap
Attached Images

05-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Charlie,

I don't see a Dunkin' Donuts on that t-shirt? I thought Dunkin' was on every corner in your neck of the woods?? Am I wrong??
05-19-2010, 11:16 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think I will move to Saugus! My neighborhood is totally dim by comparison! That is one set of crisp, colorful photos.

Steve
05-19-2010, 12:07 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Lovely pictures, and i especially love the colors.
05-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
Charlie,

I don't see a Dunkin' Donuts on that t-shirt? I thought Dunkin' was on every corner in your neck of the woods?? Am I wrong??
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think I will move to Saugus! My neighborhood is totally dim by comparison! That is one set of crisp, colorful photos.

Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by harpee Quote
Lovely pictures, and i especially love the colors.
Dunkin' Donuts are quite prolific in my area but they take a back seat to "Kane's
Donuts"
The one sad thing about the Iron Works is that it used to be open year round and after a snow storm it was the place to go for pics.The Federal support for the site has been cut back and now it closes on Nov -April:--charliezap
Attached Images