Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Trying portraiture
Lens: FA 50 1.4 Camera: k200d Photo Location: home ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F1.8 
Posted By: muhozol, 05-18-2010, 01:35 PM

This is a simple attempt to portrait my little daughter in low light conditions. A touch of PS added to make it a bit unreal. I like DOF that FA 50 1.4 creates, unfortunatelly k200d produces loads of noise in low light and autofocus is not great either. Still much to learn and practice but let me know what you think to improve my skills.
Should I consider K-7 . Thanks

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by muhozol; 06-10-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Views: 1,784
05-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice. I wish her left eye is in focus, but that can be easily be PPed. I'd recommend converting to b&w with a deeper contrast.
05-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The low contrast of the object makes it difficult for the autofocus system. Perhaps use manual focus in a case like this?

It is a nice portrait. I would suggest cropping from one of the sides to create a little unbalance/tension.
05-19-2010, 05:12 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks a lot guys. This was already cropped to 8x10 as the background was a bit distracting.
I've already fixed that focus issue after I had posted. This is a new thing for me to process pics this way, which I learned from one of the photographers in my area. Still have to work on this though.
BTW I wanted lower contrast to make it more dreamy, obviously doesn't work for everyone

05-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by muhozol Quote
Thanks a lot guys. This was already cropped to 8x10 as the background was a bit distracting.
I've already fixed that focus issue after I had posted. This is a new thing for me to process pics this way, which I learned from one of the photographers in my area. Still have to work on this though.
BTW I wanted lower contrast to make it more dreamy, obviously doesn't work for everyone
I usually advocate more contrast in bw pictures, but in this case I prefer the lower contrast, because it adds a certain softness, which suites the beautiful child nicely. I find this a very well done portrait. It has a 1960s glow around the face.

As your camera looks at an angle down onto the face, it is quite clear that not both eyes can be in focus (except when using a tilt lens),as stopping down to a smaller aperture would have made the background too obvious.

Ben
05-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks Ben for your comment. Limited DOF is always a case with f=1.8 from short distance but it's true I could have fixed that with PP.