Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Channelling Mathew Brady
Lens: Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM Camera: K-7 Photo Location: New Market, VA 
Posted By: mel, 05-18-2010, 03:45 PM

(with a nod to Dadipentak) Went to the reenactment of the Battle of New Market (Civil War) over the weekend. Here's a smattering of shots from the event. Some black and white, some sepia. I suppose I could go into photoshop and beat some of them up a little, and may still if a situation calls for it, but for now I'm feeling rather lazy. I hope my humble offerings are enjoyed.

Wait. What year is it?

And yup. Exactly like the 1860s

Views: 3,188
05-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
some really wonderful compositions here mel.... great renditions.... ol' matt would be proud... dave m
05-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #3

Some great photos - the conversions work well.

Thanks for sharing!
05-19-2010, 02:54 AM   #4
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks both! The event was rather difficult to shoot as they kept most of the action pretty far from the spectators, except for one horse battle was nearby. That was a bit disappointing. But it was still interesting anyway. I had never been to one of these before, which is a shame as I live right in the middle of where a lot of this happened.

05-19-2010, 03:06 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Beat them up!

The first & second shot are very good.
05-19-2010, 03:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Who won? ;~)
05-19-2010, 04:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shots Mel, but I especially like the last two for their humor. I also really like #2 for it's drama.

NaCl(I'd say "beat up" 1 , 2 and 4)H2O

05-19-2010, 04:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Great series Mel. Looks like you put the day to good use even though you did skip the air show I won't pick a favorite, but the last 2 are funny in their continuity conflicts! LOL

I recognize some of the reenactors from the battles I've shot. I imagine they are busy all summer.

Mike

p.s. You need a BIGMA!!! I think KEH has a used one available. I'm getting ready to buy the DA*60-250

p.p.s. There is another reenactment in Spotsylvania this weekend (22-23 May)... http://www.spotsylvania.org/2010.htm I cant shoot it because I already have family commitments but thought you might want to know about it.

Last edited by MRRiley; 05-19-2010 at 05:18 AM. Reason: added p.p.s.
05-19-2010, 05:23 AM   #9
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Beat them up!

The first & second shot are very good.
Thank you!! Playing with a few.

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Who won? ;~)
Who won. Lol. Funny funny. This battle or the war? It was funny though. A couple near where I was shooting was carrying on as if the outcome wasn't already predetermined. Hilarous.

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Great shots Mel, but I especially like the last two for their humor. I also really like #2 for it's drama.

NaCl(I'd say "beat up" 1 , 2 and 4)H2O
Thanks Mr. Saltwater. Yeah I loved the Union soldiers riding around in the back of the GMC pickup. I'm mess up a few of them but by the time I have time to do it I'm sure this thread will roll on to page 12 or so and it'll be pointless to post them here

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Great series Mel. Looks like you put the day to good use even though you did skip the air show I won't pick a favorite, but the last 2 are funny in their continuity conflicts! LOL

I recognize some of the reenactors from the battles I've shot. I imagine they are busy all summer.

Mike

p.s. You need a BIGMA!!! I think KEH has a used one available. I'm getting ready to buy the DA*60-250

p.p.s. There is another reenactment in Spotsylvania this weekend (22-23 May)... The Battles of Spotsylvania ~ 2010 Civil War Reenactment I cant shoot it because I already have family commitments but thought you might want to know about it.
Thanks and yes I know I need a BIGMA. I am however pleased with the performance of the 70-200. I was torn between that and the 60-250, which I really want as well, but I decided to go for that constant f/2.8, and I got it for about half the price of that one. It just wasn't long enough. I need more money for lenses. Bottom line. Or a sponsorship or something.

Last edited by mel; 05-19-2010 at 05:29 AM.
05-19-2010, 05:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Thanks and yes I know I need a BIGMA. I am however pleased with the performance of the 70-200. I was torn between that and the 60-250, which I really want as well, but I decided to go for that constant f/2.8, and I got it for about half the price of that one. It just wasn't long enough. I need more money for lenses. Bottom line. Or a sponsorship or something.
I'm willing to spend the extra $$$ and live with f4 to get the weatherproofing. If I felt like i could trust getting a decent DA*16-50 I'd get one of those too, but they are still too chancey...
05-19-2010, 05:42 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These looks super to me, Mel. The fourth one looks like something out of a history book.

Jer
05-19-2010, 07:55 AM   #12
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I'm willing to spend the extra $$$ and live with f4 to get the weatherproofing. If I felt like i could trust getting a decent DA*16-50 I'd get one of those too, but they are still too chancey...
Oh I know. The weather sealing is why I want the 60-250 as well. However, the opportunity for the deal came, it was half the price, and most of my shooting-for-others is indoor, low-light performance shooting. Really, I NEED both. And a BIGMA. Also, I don't have the extra money for the DA* right now anyway.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
These looks super to me, Mel. The fourth one looks like something out of a history book.

Jer

Thanks Jer! That's the look I was aiming for.
05-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #13
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay I took this one outside and ran over it with the car a few times. I'm sure its total overkill but I had fun playing with it anyway. I added some graininess to it but the jpeg conversion seems to have killed the effect.

05-20-2010, 04:29 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Nice effect Mel. It may need to be run over once or twice more to look truly tattered. I wouldn't worry about the grain since originals of the period exhibited very little grain anyway.

Mike
05-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Great series Mel...loved the conversions!