Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
"The beauty can be right under your nose'
Lens: quantaray 70-300 Camera: k20d Photo Location: saugus Ma ISO: 800 
Posted By: charliezap, 05-19-2010, 01:48 PM

The flora and fauna are developing extremely quick this time of year.I have a question concerning the poppies that has bugged me for years. I don't know what it is about the flower itself but whenever I take a poppy pic I have to put the saturation level at -2 or it looks like a big blob.Everything else looks fine but for some reason the poppies really bleed the color.This has happened on every Pentax that I have owned.It's not a problem but I was just curious as to what causes that particular plant to do what it does.--charliezap

Last edited by charliezap; 01-21-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Views: 1,479
05-19-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice shots.

Red flowers and any vibrant red is a tough colour for sensors. It's a dynamic range issue. Reds can blow out quite easily. It has to do with the wavelength and frequency of the colour. It's the highest in the spectrum. So like white, it's the most susceptible to blowing out. Plus you are often shooting red against greens that is a much lower frequency and much darker.

Not that different than what a wedding photographer faces. Imagine when shooting a bride with the groomsmen and she also got red flowers!

So you expose for the reds, use your histogram or the 'blinkies' to tell you how the scene is exposed. Then you'll have to boost the dark areas in software to balance the shot. Reducing the saturation helps but isn't the solution.
05-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I really like the first shot. I like the grainy texture it has and the overall compositions is very nice.

Poppies also tend to have rather transparent petals, I wonder if that is having an effect as well?
05-19-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I thought you were talking about my moustache, Capn'.

Seriously, these are beautifully done with sharpness and great color.

Jer

05-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I thought you were talking about my moustache, Capn'.

Seriously, these are beautifully done with sharpness and great color.

Jer
Thanks Jer-It's neat to go a few steps outside and try to capture something worthwhile from a different perspective--charliezap