Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Old Question: B&W or Color for Stanford's Hoover Tower
Lens: DA 15 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Stanford University ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: Sailor, 05-21-2010, 06:29 PM

So . . . . which would you keep or would you dump both?

Jer

Views: 1,609
05-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm going to say B&W, because I think photographically, it works better. I do like the color version too, though. Keep both!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-22-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks much. Yeah, I guess it doesn't cost alot to keep 'em on the hard disk.

Jer
05-22-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I am leaning towards the color Jer. [no pun intended] Chees. JIM

05-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I generally have a preference toward color photos - I just like vivid scenes. However, there are a lot of B&W shots that I like, and have some hanging as art in my home.

In this case, I like the drama of the B&W a lot. However, the color shot is the winner for me. I think when you get the complementary colors of the buff tower against the brilliant deep blue sky, it really stands out.

Both shots are sharp, clear, and striking. Now, I've almost talked myself into liking the B&W one more. Definitely keep them both. I'll end up my rambling with (let me look again) ... the color winning by a nose.
05-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
B/W; makes me think of the FBI in the fifties <-

I find the colour one garish, but I'm sure you will sell it to some city catalogue or brochure for muchos denieros.
05-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The BW makes it look distant and forbidding and fortress like - the color less so.

As it is to me an essentially ugly structure the BW is much more subjectively accurate than the color.

The BW is a good shot of an ugly building and works well.

If it was me I'd keep the the BW.

Last edited by wildman; 05-22-2010 at 02:05 PM.
05-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
I generally have a preference toward color photos - I just like vivid scenes. However, there are a lot of B&W shots that I like, and have some hanging as art in my home.

In this case, I like the drama of the B&W a lot. However, the color shot is the winner for me. I think when you get the complementary colors of the buff tower against the brilliant deep blue sky, it really stands out.

Both shots are sharp, clear, and striking. Now, I've almost talked myself into liking the B&W one more. Definitely keep them both. I'll end up my rambling with (let me look again) ... the color winning by a nose.
Thanks for thinking this through - and ending up about where I am, a slight preference for the color one.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by JesseDavis Quote
B/W; makes me think of the FBI in the fifties <-

I find the colour one garish, but I'm sure you will sell it to some city catalogue or brochure for muchos denieros.
Interesting - I don't see this one as crossing the line to garish, but I'll admit it ain't subtle. Thanks for commenting.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
The BW makes it look distant and forbidding and fortress like - the color less so.

As it is to me an essentially ugly structure the BW is much more subjectively accurate than the color.

The BW is a good shot of an ugly building and works well.

If it was me I'd keep the the BW.
You know, the tower struck me the same way (although I'm still undecided about color vs B&W) - and it is in odd contrast to Stanford's generally beautiful campus.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 05-22-2010 at 04:31 PM.
05-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
I am leaning towards the color Jer. [no pun intended] Chees. JIM
Like most sailors, I like to see subjects that are "well heeled" - pun both intended and dreadful (the best kind).

Thanks for commenting, buddy.

Jer