Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
HDR rusting combine
Lens: DA 18-55 kit Camera: k10d Photo Location: Milton, FL ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F19 
Posted By: donalson, 05-22-2010, 08:47 PM

1st time playing with HDR...

went out to a camp ground this weekend... around 4pm the day prior I saw this lovely combine sitting there rusting away... I wish i'd gone back closer to sun down or gone earlier this morning... but instead i showed up around 11am... I may go back at some point to get the lighting I want... but we'll see

used my $15 used sunpack tripod ($80ish new from what i've seen), my k10d with kit lens at 18mm set to auto bracketing, an old cell phone wired headset for a trigger (the auto answer button triggers the shutter release) and Photomatrix Pro 3 for the HDR processing.

1st shot is a "proper exposure" (with matrix metering as I recall) 200 iso 1/125s shutter speed and f19, the other exposures for the HDR where 1/180s and 1/90s

the HDR image is this one

and just for fun I'll toss this one in... walking down and then back from the cabin I noticed the nice lines of shadows and knew I needed to try to get something from it...
30s exposure at f4.0 iso 100... pleased with the results... wish i'd stopped it down a little and used bulb mode for it though.

Views: 1,850
05-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IMO the original shot is much better than the HDR; it would just need a little levels and that's it! Because there aren't that many shadows or highlights, HDR sort of backfired, I think. Thanks for sharing! (for the record, I haven't taken a usable HDR shot yet...)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-23-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
Inactive Account

i kinda like the way the hdr turned out.
if you have photoshop you could always add some nd grad layers over the clouds
to darken them up,add a color filter aswell.
05-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm with Adam...I prefer the original

05-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentX Girl Quote
I'm with Adam...I prefer the original
As do I. Nice shot - well composed with the combine shown in context.

Jer