First post here

hope to learn much

both taken with k10d.

thanks guys.
Views: 1,409
08-01-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A fellow St Louisan, welcome !! Nice shot of the Arch by the way, i need to get down to the riverfront, and take some shots
08-01-2007, 08:51 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The arc is an amazing stucture and you caught it from just the right angle!
08-01-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
yes, nice angle on the arc.

your first picture is a good demonstration of something u can think about when u look at your own and other peoples pictures.

you have a single object and the rest is grass. now study that picture and think, where does your eyes focus go?

I find myself wanting to look at the object but my attention is drawn towards the upper right corner, even if i try to concentrate on the object.

I find this image in particular to be very strong on exhibiting this effect, the upper right corner is like a magnet to the eyes.

why? because that is the brightest part of the image.

if all of the grass was evenly lit and only the object itself had a spotlight on it that was 1 stop or more brighter than the grass, then your eyes would not wonder off into the grass at all.

This can be a powerfull tool to control where people are looking at when they look at your pictures, its even as though you can control them against their will, if something really stands out as being brightly lit then you just cant help looking at it.

so, study your first image and think about how you can use this.

08-01-2007, 09:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
thanks for the comments guys.

and thanks for the lighting tip, and.
i'll remember it.