Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Things with wings...
Posted By: Tom Lusk, 08-02-2007, 07:58 AM

Some FA*300 shots with 1.7TC from the past couple of days.

I didn't even realize the hummingbird moth (been trying to get a decent shot of one of these for years) was passing by when I took this poor bee photo - one for the Recycle Bin:

Some busy butterfly shots - some nice colours, but taken from approx. 10' away, so BG's are rough...

A better shot of a Monarch, again, approx. 10' ,but clean BG:

A Dragon and Damsel from down by my dock:

and, the required (by me) bird shot- a Robin after his bath:

Where this combo seems to shine is BIF shots of birds that rarely come within decent distances. There are quite a few species that I can picture. This shot (already posted in another thread) gives me hope:

Very little image degradation for using a TC. Of course my eyes aren't the best either, anymore...
Views: 1,535
08-02-2007, 08:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice series, Tom.

I especially like the butterfly in #3 and the dragonfly in #6, but they are all stunning.
08-02-2007, 08:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice pictures Tom. Of the butterfly photos I especially like 3, 4 and 5. There's something about the colours and composition of 3 that gives it impact. Detail, DOF and colours are great in 4 and 5. Nice photo in 2 but perhaps background is a little busy, as you suggest. Great dragonfly photo. That damsel fly looks a bit precarious on the lotus petal (ripe picking for an observant frog). Glad to see you've included some feathers. That's a beautiful picture of the robin fresh from a bath. I'm not sure but is the last one a Gull-billed Tern?

Paul
08-02-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, guys...

Paul: it's a Caspian Tern. Fun to watch as they dive for fish.

08-02-2007, 02:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks Tom, I've now compared their differences in the only guide I have (Kaufman). I now know a little more in my long distance study of North American birds in preparation for our move to the Okanagan. Looking at the range maps though it looks like I won't be lucky enough to see either of these Terns there.

Paul