Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Identify the bird!
Posted By: Canada_Rockies, 05-30-2010, 10:47 AM

How's your bird identification? This little fellow is 4m/12ft from the camera, shot through my wife's crocheted window hanging.

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 05-30-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: OOPS! did not put in the picture - Sorry, all
Views: 3,453
05-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Not a black chinned hummer - ruby throated

I just popped out for a look on the web, and the black chinned hummers don't have the ruby colours. I think the bad lighting is casting a heavy shadow. Today's shots were at 11:30 am MDT so 10:30 am Standard Time, the house faces due North, the light is from behind the camera and to the right. Last night's shots were in failing light. We are on the West side of the valley, and the ridge to our West cuts the sun off at about 7:00 pm at this time of the year. I'll try to catch the little guy in better light. This is definitely his territory - that's what he's doing in the first shot in the thread behind the crochet. We bent the coat hanger to give him a good perch up there.

05-31-2010, 05:27 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder, could they be Anna's hummers?

Years ago, I used a macro lens, hand-held, to shoot close-ups of ruby-throats who came right to my lens and to red bee balm blooms. I discovered that they liked my bright red shirt. They'd follow me around the yard, but loved that patch of bee balm, which had blooms about as high as my eye. I stood very still, wearing the red shirt, right next to the flowers and waited for the hummers to come into range while lapping nectar.
05-31-2010, 07:15 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
I wonder, could they be Anna's hummers?

Years ago, I used a macro lens, hand-held, to shoot close-ups of ruby-throats who came right to my lens and to red bee balm blooms. I discovered that they liked my bright red shirt. They'd follow me around the yard, but loved that patch of bee balm, which had blooms about as high as my eye. I stood very still, wearing the red shirt, right next to the flowers and waited for the hummers to come into range while lapping nectar.
I don't think so. We are a bit high for them, and the birds do not have the green flanks. They certainly look similar, though. Thanks for the link.
05-31-2010, 08:28 AM   #19
Pentaxian

It's hard to believe that out of all the species of hummingbirds that only one or two other than the ruby throated hummingbird summer east of the Mississippi.I looked up hb's for your area and came up with several species---British Columbia
Rufous, Calliope, Black-chinned, Anna's, Costa's, Ruby-throated, Allen's, Xantus'.

I have a seasonal visitor at my feeder who really tolerates the camera in his face

Attached Images

05-31-2010, 08:39 AM   #20
Ira
Inactive Account

I was gonna guess a turkey.