Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Phreaky Photo Session
Lens: Sigma 10-20 Camera: Pentax Kx 
Posted By: VaughnA, 05-30-2010, 12:15 PM

These aren't great shots.. But it makes for a neat story..

Yesterday I decided to run out to an abandoned house where I've gotten a lot of good shots before. I wanted to see what I could do with HDR photos since I've been playing with it a bit lately.

After taking shots downstairs I moved up the steps to the upstairs bedroom. When I looked inside I was in for a shock. I looked over and saw a large turkey buzzard sitting in the window. I was equally surprised when it just stayed there and stared at me without moving. I had the camera setup for HDR so I quickly attempted to reset the camera to try to get a couple of shots but since all I had was the wide angle and the light was very harsh. The photo wasn't very good but you can see what I saw before it finally flew off. I walked around the upstairs and took a few more shots before leaving. As I walked back by the bedroom I heard hissing. I looked inside and found a buzzard chick hissing at me. I tried to get a couple of shots by holding the camera in his face. They didn't come out too good but you can at least see how ugly it was. Mama was sitting in the tree outside when I walked out of the house.

I felt like I was living in a horror movie for a couple of seconds. I had to look around to see if Hitchcock was behind the door.

Mamma In the Door.

A face only a mother could love.

The view from the stairway.

Views: 1,500
05-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love the composition you've got in the third shot, with that bag on the ground. Sets quite a scary mood indeed! If only it were a bit darker outside...

Thanks for sharing!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-30-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like these pix, especially in view of the story. I'm partial to buzzards, and the chick, while also being brave, is so ugly he's cute. That building is in really bad shape, and I agree with Adam that the bag in the foreground of the third shot helps to really make that picture. Thanks for the story and the pix.
05-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

That's a neat story, and you had the presence of mind to record some very appropriate photos too. What on earth would prompt you to go wandering around in an old abandoned building like this?

I really enjoyed the story and the pictures. Very unusual. Looks like a motor cycle gang may have used it as a flop house, with that motor cycle saddle bag lying there in the clutter on the floor. You could have encountered much more that a couple of turkey buzzards there. Again great series, I enjoyed it a lot!

05-30-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

In reviewing your photo gallery, I can see that you have somewhat of a photojournalistic bent. Great work.
05-30-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
That's a neat story, and you had the presence of mind to record some very appropriate photos too. What on earth would prompt you to go wandering around in an old abandoned building like this?
Thanks for all of the kind words. That was a first pass on the HDR, I had to handhold and bracket since I was standing on one of the few remaining good steps of the stairway. There was no way to use a tripod but I needed to be in that spot to get the shot.

I'm drawn to abandoned buildings and homes. I drive around looking for abandoned factories and homes. There are just too many stories inside. I usually just say WTF and go ahead and explore hoping nobody shoots

The house had been through a fire and appeared to have been abandoned about 10 years ago. There were still childrens toys and notebooks from school laying around. It looks like they just took their personal belongings and left.

I went into one house that had a mans hat still on the stove and a fresh roll of paper towels on the counter. It had been abandoned in the early 90s. I've got a couple of shots of that trip I need to process and show here. Even with the hat and other signs it didn't have the 'feel' of the place where I was yesterday.