Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Again some dragonflies
Posted By: tcom, 08-04-2007, 09:14 AM

Hi

Here are my macro shots of dragonflies done today with K10D, Voigtlander 125/2.5 and Pentax F 1.7x teleconverter.

1/1000s f/5.0 iso500

1/320s f/8.0 iso500

1/640s f/6.3 iso500

1/1000s f/5.6 iso500

Comments and critiques are welcome.
Views: 1,974
08-04-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
Banned

The First one is the best.
08-04-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice shots, thanks for posting them.

Heinrich
08-04-2007, 08:19 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I like them all, but I love the first and third images. Excellent dragonfly images!
By the way how do you post the images so that they appear on top of each other vertically? When I have posted images here, they appeared horizontally next to each other, which is annoying because if they are not small enough, it makes horizontal scrolling necessary.

--Terry Galapagos Islands Photo Adventures

08-05-2007, 04:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

tcom

I see I'm not the only one doing Dragon close-ups with the Pentax 1.7 TC. Good stuff!

It sure makes the job easier when you don't have to be practically touching the subject with the lens! Now, if I could only learn to ID these guys...
08-05-2007, 08:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

All very nice! Now why can't I find any of these little guys!
08-05-2007, 09:48 AM   #7
and
Veteran Member

must admit there are so many dragonfly shots around so one tends to get higher and higher standards the more dragnofly shots one sees. at least that is true for me.

so the first one doesnt really "do it" for me, its got some distrubing elements.

second one should be very good but i think the background is just distrubing me a little bit. i am being picky though, mind you.

now i think nr 3 is a winner! great shot! great colors, nice oof, good sharpness. very good job.

and i think if the oof in nr 2 was like in nr3 then it would be a winner too... i see the f stop is slightly different. do u get my point when you compare the two? in 3 its very oof and lovely creamy green colors. but in 2 its just starting to produce some circles and lines and its a lot more going on there, eanough to distract.

08-05-2007, 10:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
First of all, thank you all for your comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by tknterry Quote
By the way how do you post the images so that they appear on top of each other vertically? When I have posted images here, they appeared horizontally next to each other, which is annoying because if they are not small enough, it makes horizontal scrolling necessary.
Simply by pressing return after the closing tag of an image.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
I see I'm not the only one doing Dragon close-ups with the Pentax 1.7 TC. Good stuff!

It sure makes the job easier when you don't have to be practically touching the subject with the lens! Now, if I could only learn to ID these guys...
Without TC, they would fly away, so without TC, no dragonfly at all. It really helps getting some extra working distance. I would also like to be able to ID them now, but that is more difficult than taking the photo.

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
must admit there are so many dragonfly shots around so one tends to get higher and higher standards the more dragnofly shots one sees. at least that is true for me.

so the first one doesnt really "do it" for me, its got some distrubing elements.

second one should be very good but i think the background is just distrubing me a little bit. i am being picky though, mind you.

now i think nr 3 is a winner! great shot! great colors, nice oof, good sharpness. very good job.

and i think if the oof in nr 2 was like in nr3 then it would be a winner too... i see the f stop is slightly different. do u get my point when you compare the two? in 3 its very oof and lovely creamy green colors. but in 2 its just starting to produce some circles and lines and its a lot more going on there, eanough to distract.
Sure, with the number and quality increase, one sets higher level to a photo. The dragonfly in 2 and 3 was quite close to the background, which made it difficult for a nice oof bokeh. I had to find a compromise between as much of the dragonfly in focus as possible and the best possible bokeh. It worked much better in the 3.
08-05-2007, 07:07 PM   #9
and
Veteran Member

You could of course try some gaussian blur on the background in photoshop as well, dunno how well that is going to work but could be worth a try.
08-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Well that is just too obvious
QuoteOriginally posted by tcom Quote
First of all, thank you all for your comments.
Simply by pressing return after the closing tag of an image.