Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Oaks Bottom Wildlife Refuge
Lens: smc-m 50mm f/2.0 (reversed) Camera: k20d Photo Location: Portland, OR 
Posted By: jmbradd, 06-03-2010, 08:33 PM

Here are a few "poor mans macro" shots from my last trip to Oaks Bottom Wildlife Refuge on the east bank of the Willamette River here in Portland. Yes it was crazy and yes I was walking around with a reversed lens and big flash on body.

PS believe it or not, rain like this in june isn't that common in western oregon. We're beginning to call it Juneuary.

Plenty more on my flickr page, didn't feel like making a massive thread!
Views: 1,625
06-04-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First off, you have some dust on your sensor- it's visible in the last shot, near the bottom of the left edge. Three specs, it seems.

Now, about this series- I really like the first shot! The fact that there are three nearly identical leaves is great within itself, and then comes the great bokeh (the hexagons here make the shot even better, IMO!) and sharpness. I do have two suggestions, however:

1. Clone out the spiderwebs!
2. Crop out most of the leaf in the upper-left, so that the just the stem emerges from the edge. That'll make for a truly stunning effect!

Surprised not to see any replies yet Great series overall!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good use of a rainy day! I got out into the Columbia Gorge earlier in the week, but the light has been dirt poor. I really like #3. Excellent sharpness and use of limited DOF.

Steve

(Really should have a Portland/Vancouver Pentaxian meet-up...there are quite a few of us that live in the general vicinity.)
06-04-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
thanks for the replies. I think its a great idea to do some additional PP work like cloning out the spider webs. I always find some kind of strange web or fuzz thats distracting in the pictures.

And yes, it seems there was a hair on the sensor, I noticed this once i got home. Its bound to happen with how reckless I am =) Its gone now.

As for the portland/vanc pentaxian meetup I think that sounds like a great idea. Maybe a march on pro photo supply to show how much support there is for the brand here!

06-05-2010, 05:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice series - I'm really taken with the last one.

Jer
06-05-2010, 11:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A nice series the raindrops are behaving TFS

cheers