Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pentax 6x7 as a street camera - some first results
Lens: Pentax 67 55mm Camera: Pentax 6x7 MLU Photo Location: Boulevard Scheveningen 
Posted By: Rense, 06-04-2010, 12:20 PM

A half year ago, I got me a 6x7 camera with 4 lenses, among which a 67 55mm F4. From the beginning, I wanted to use this behemoth as street camera, but I couldn't realise that until some weeks ago. I visited the boulevard of Scheveningen, with Iris, because we had to stay some nights in the vicinity of The Hague. Totally unexpected, people didn't even react on the camera!!!! I think this has to do with the waist level finder, giving me the appearance of looking to the camera, instead of through it! Well, to cut things short, here are the first results, shot with Ilfort FP4+ 125. I think I will do this kind of work more often.....

Views: 3,314
06-04-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
VERY nice, Rense. People look natural and not posed. Composition and tonal range are very good.

I don't have much courage to engage in street photography by holding my camera to my eye, but looking down into a viewfinder does seem to keep people behaving naturally. I have wondered if there was a device to attach to DSLRs that would allow viewing from above, like a prism viewfinder.
06-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great images...
You were quite close with that wide angle.. and nobody knew the what was happening, until the mirror slap
Seriously, was the mirror slap a concern at 1st?
06-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great, great Job Rense!
The results turned out very nice .
It was very funny to see people didn't even react on the camera, until you actually took a picture (the mirror is loud )...

06-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
VERY nice, Rense. People look natural and not posed. Composition and tonal range are very good.

I don't have much courage to engage in street photography by holding my camera to my eye, but looking down into a viewfinder does seem to keep people behaving naturally. I have wondered if there was a device to attach to DSLRs that would allow viewing from above, like a prism viewfinder.
Thanks Tamia! I love working with this giant, and I think it's easier than with my SP or K20. Due to the waist level finder....

QuoteOriginally posted by arbib Quote
Great images...
You were quite close with that wide angle.. and nobody knew the what was happening, until the mirror slap
Seriously, was the mirror slap a concern at 1st?
Thank you!! No, after the slap people looked for a moment, but just walked. And I love to hear the mirror of the 6x7, also on the street....
06-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really like these, Rense - when I was young (and that was a LONG time ago), I wanted a Pentax 6x7 - but I couldn't make myself part with the cash. I'm glad one ended up with a great photographer like you.

Jer
06-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Really enjoyed this series Rense. God it would be fun using the big guy! Love the DOF. JIM

06-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Something that may help...

Spy Lens at The Photojojo Store

Great shots, I also like how natural the scenes look.
06-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

superlative series rense.... it's nice to see such wonderful film work.... looking forward to seeing more of your 6X7 work.... dave m....
06-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Iris Quote
Great, great Job Rense!
The results turned out very nice .
It was very funny to see people didn't even react on the camera, until you actually took a picture (the mirror is loud )...
Thank you Iris! It was fun, wasn't it?

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I really like these, Rense - when I was young (and that was a LONG time ago), I wanted a Pentax 6x7 - but I couldn't make myself part with the cash. I'm glad one ended up with a great photographer like you.

Jer
Hi Jer, thanks for the compliment...!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Really enjoyed this series Rense. God it would be fun using the big guy! Love the DOF. JIM
Thanks Jim!
06-05-2010, 02:04 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote

Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
superlative series rense.... it's nice to see such wonderful film work.... looking forward to seeing more of your 6X7 work.... dave m....
Thanks Dave! I will take the camera out more often, I promise.....
06-05-2010, 05:23 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote

Ooo, now that's interesting. Reminds me of those spy periscopes I yearned for when I was a kid.
06-05-2010, 10:45 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ooo, now that's interesting. Reminds me of those spy periscopes I yearned for when I was a kid.
I prefer people understanding what I am doing, but probably this thing can help indeed....
06-10-2010, 01:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I really like the idea of using such a camera for street photos Rense, very cool.
And your results are very nice too, well done. Please do show us more...