Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Calvin College IR
Posted By: The Pentax Hammer, 08-05-2007, 07:55 PM

This is from beside the church at Calvin College. It was shot with a Hoya R72 infrared filter, and no adjusting was done to the colors from the camera in the first shot. Normal color channel switching was done on the second shot.

Critiques and opinions welcome

Views: 2,699
08-06-2007, 02:52 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Both are pretty freaky looking but I guess I like the effect of the first one best.
08-06-2007, 09:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Gary, both are interesting. At first I prefered the effect in 1, but the more I looked at 2 it has its own beauty. At times it almost looks a bit like a winter scene.

Paul
08-06-2007, 10:33 AM   #4

Hey, nice photos. I know that exact spot. Calving College presents a lot of nice college photo scenes.
It's nice to find another GR michigan Pentax shooter too...

08-06-2007, 12:30 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, guys! Infrared always looks kind of creepy. I know it doesn't appeal to everyone, but I like it. I use to convert all of my IR shots to B&W, but recently I learned to appreciate the weird colors.

Fletcherkane, it sure is a small world! Nice to see another Grand Rapizoid here on the forum. Did you go to Calvin College? I just know it from some of the remodeling I did there over the years, plus a few concerts I went to there many years back.

Here are two more for you from the same side of the church.

"Last night I dreamed..."

"Green is Tranquility"

Last edited by The Pentax Hammer; 08-06-2007 at 12:36 PM.
08-06-2007, 03:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I especially like the first one. I think the colors, though different, fit the mood of the picture better. For my eyes, the colors in the second one are a little harsh. But still kinda cool. Probably just a matter of taste.
08-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I love both photos. I really wanna try IR sometime.

Personally, I see IR photos as hauntingly beautiful. Not freaky, or weird, but hauntingly beautiful.

Thanks for sharing, Gary. You've got skill.

08-06-2007, 06:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Of the first set of pictures, the second just looks "yuck" But the first, as vinzer said, is haunting.

The second set is equally breathtaking, especially "...dreamed..." :ugh:
08-06-2007, 07:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

agree with Matthew, "Last night I dreamed" is the best of the 4. On the first set, #1 is the best. The second one the colors don't really do it for me.

Love the IR though.
08-06-2007, 11:41 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks guys!

The second photo was using white to set the white balance, then channel switching... just like everybody and their uncle does. The first shot was made by using green grass to set the white balance... a trick I recently learned. I favor this method anymore too.

FYI, the "Dreamed" photo was taken with a "white" white balance, sepia added, then an Orton effect to finish it off.
08-07-2007, 12:01 PM   #11

[QUOTE=
Fletcherkane, it sure is a small world! Nice to see another Grand Rapizoid here on the forum. Did you go to Calvin College? I just know it from some of the remodeling I did there over the years, plus a few concerts I went to there many years back.

Here are two more for you from the same side of the church. [/QUOTE]

No, I didn't attend CC but grew up in the area. I also work for a local church and regularly attend some of the symposiums that the school offers.

A little off topic. Where did you pick up your Pentax gear. Mark's Photo, off of Division in GR is a great shop if you haven't been in there. It's one of the only places I've ever been that actually advertises and pushes Pentax. They pushed me in the direction of Pentax for my first SLR and I haven't looked back...
08-07-2007, 12:12 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I like these a lot! Nice composition, then the IR just gives it that wonderful spooky effect!
08-07-2007, 11:10 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fletcherkane Quote
No, I didn't attend CC but grew up in the area. I also work for a local church and regularly attend some of the symposiums that the school offers.

A little off topic. Where did you pick up your Pentax gear. Mark's Photo, off of Division in GR is a great shop if you haven't been in there. It's one of the only places I've ever been that actually advertises and pushes Pentax. They pushed me in the direction of Pentax for my first SLR and I haven't looked back...
Bought Pentax at first for my wife when I lived in Colorado Springs back in the early 80's. ME Super 35mm SLR camera... great camera! Moved back to GR in 1990 and went to Mark's when we needed repairs on the ME Super. Bought many filters, camera bags, a Pentax PZ 70 35mm SLR, tripods... I could go on and on. When I wanted to buy the K10D it was a no brainer where to go.... Mark's.

Only other place in town I will shop for anything photography related at all is The Camera Center on Wealthy in the Eastown area. Ever been there? Tons of cool old cameras as well as new. I first started shopping there because of the telescope equipment (another hobby) but as of late, they don't carry much astronomy equipment any more. Too bad!
08-08-2007, 04:43 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey Gary, I love the effect of #1. Normally, I don't enjoy IR shots, but this one I like.

My older daughter looked briefly at Calvin, but ended up at Alma - now, like the whole family, she's a Texan.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 08-08-2007 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Too hasty the first time.