Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sahlen's Six Hours of the Glen @ Watkins Glen
Camera: K20D Photo Location: Watkins Glen International 
Posted By: madmikess, 06-06-2010, 04:18 PM

Spent a few hours at the track today watching part of the races and practicing some panning shots. I think next time I go to the track I'm going to go by myself. While I like to bring my son and father in law with me so that they can enjoy some auto racing, I think my son is still a little young at 4 years old and not more than an hour after we got there he was already asking to go home. Spent a lot of time trying to find a good spot to watch the racing and get good photos as well. But don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed my time there today and my son did like the auto racing anyway. Anyway, here are some shots:

Thanks for looking in.
Views: 2,311
06-06-2010, 11:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great job on the panning! Are these cropped, or straight out of the camera?
06-07-2010, 04:38 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Great job on the panning! Are these cropped, or straight out of the camera?
I wish I could say I'm good enough to shoot them perfectly, but they are all cropped a little to straighten and adjust for composition. The 2nd shot is probably cropped the most as I tightened it in to remove the photographer who was standing at the guard rail on the right of the shot. But otherwise they are pretty close to how they came out of the camera, with some slight WB adjustment and maybe a little exposure adjustment. Thanks for taking time to look in here.
06-07-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is great car series - I've always wanted to see Watkins Glen, so thanks for posting.

Jer

06-07-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madmikess Quote
I wish I could say I'm good enough to shoot them perfectly, but they are all cropped a little to straighten and adjust for composition. The 2nd shot is probably cropped the most as I tightened it in to remove the photographer who was standing at the guard rail on the right of the shot. But otherwise they are pretty close to how they came out of the camera, with some slight WB adjustment and maybe a little exposure adjustment. Thanks for taking time to look in here.
They're awesome shots nonetheless - panning is not an easy thing to do well. Here's one of mine from a few years back, with the framing I got straight out of the camera (not shot with a Pentax, but with the Olympus E-1). More details on the shot are in my gallery.

...so I know how challenging it can be to get a sharp panning shot, let alone one that's fairly accurately framed!
06-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
This is great car series - I've always wanted to see Watkins Glen, so thanks for posting.

Jer
Thank you Jer, Watkins Glen is a really nice track and for the smaller events like this one it's nice that it's so open and you can actually walk around where the team garages are and you also have your pick of the stands. I'm heading back in a month for the Camping World Grand Prix of the Glen Indycar race which will be a little more limited as far as grandstand access, hopefully I can find a good spot to catch the action.

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
They're awesome shots nonetheless - panning is not an easy thing to do well. Here's one of mine from a few years back, with the framing I got straight out of the camera (not shot with a Pentax, but with the Olympus E-1). More details on the shot are in my gallery.

...so I know how challenging it can be to get a sharp panning shot, let alone one that's fairly accurately framed!
Yes, I'm still learning the panning techniques, the first shot was of the start/finish straight taken from the Pit Terrace stands which isn't a bad spot, but the teams had their pop up canopies all setup and even at the highest part of the stand it still obstructed some of the track view. The other shots I posted are from the S curves from the McDonalds Family Zone stand, it's a good spot for photographing but you tend to get the guard rail in front of the shot unless you are at the very top and standing. My choices will be a little more limited with general admission to the Indycar race next month, but I'll probably have more of an opportunity to scope out a better spot as I'll be with my brother in law who is more of a motorsports fan and won't mind finding a good spot to watch the races. What series is your shot from? I know it's not F1, although the car looks very similar. That shot was very well done, pretty perfectly captured it the action and nice and sharp.

Edit: Well, it looks like it IS F1, don't remember the Jordan team from 2004, back when Glock was just a test driver. Nice.

Last edited by madmikess; 06-07-2010 at 12:30 PM.
06-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes, I'm still learning the panning techniques, the first shot was of the start/finish straight taken from the Pit Terrace stands which isn't a bad spot, but the teams had their pop up canopies all setup and even at the highest part of the stand it still obstructed some of the track view. The other shots I posted are from the S curves from the McDonalds Family Zone stand, it's a good spot for photographing but you tend to get the guard rail in front of the shot unless you are at the very top and standing. My choices will be a little more limited with general admission to the Indycar race next month, but I'll probably have more of an opportunity to scope out a better spot as I'll be with my brother in law who is more of a motorsports fan and won't mind finding a good spot to watch the races.
I really should get myself along to an Indy race at some point. Been in the US for ten years now, and still never been to a race here other than F1 (and its support races) at Indy...

QuoteQuote:
What series is your shot from? I know it's not F1, although the car looks very similar. That shot was very well done, pretty perfectly captured it the action and nice and sharp.

Edit: Well, it looks like it IS F1, don't remember the Jordan team from 2004, back when Glock was just a test driver. Nice.
Yes indeed, F1. Was lucky enough to go to Indianapolis as a guest of Ferrari a couple of years on the trot, and that pic was taken on one of those weekends. F1's been my passion since about the start of the 90s, maybe a little earlier. Hardly missed a race since then, and have attended six in person over the years (Spa, Magny Cours, and Indy several times). I also find rally, touring car and British Rallycross interesting, but haven't gotten to attend them in person as yet, and am not as knowledgeable about them.

Thanks for the compliment on my pic - I shot a heck of a lot over those two weekends, and the Paddock Club access gave me opportunities I'm not likely to have again any time soon. That pic is among my very favorite keepers -- I was a Ferrari supporter at the time, but I was lucky to meet and speak with Eddie Jordan, and was really sad to see his name out of the sport. The majority of my pics were to be discarded, -- plenty of half-cars, blurry messes and the like -- but man it's satisfying when a panning shot comes out well! ;-)
06-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Very nice, I was lucky enough to go to Indy for the F1 race the year after the infamous tyre problems. I had a great time, but I didn't have a good enough camera for shooting auto racing at the time. I've always been a fan of F1 as long as I can remember, watching Prost and Senna battling, although I find myself watching and following a lot more in the last 5 or 6 years than I ever did in the past. I wanted to go to Montreal for the race this year, but the prices are ridiculous, would rather go to see some racing at Watkins Glen for $25-45 gen admission tickets and kids 15 and under free, and the region has beautiful scenery.

06-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Very nice, I was lucky enough to go to Indy for the F1 race the year after the infamous tyre problems. I had a great time, but I didn't have a good enough camera for shooting auto racing at the time. I've always been a fan of F1 as long as I can remember, watching Prost and Senna battling, although I find myself watching and following a lot more in the last 5 or 6 years than I ever did in the past. I wanted to go to Montreal for the race this year, but the prices are ridiculous, would rather go to see some racing at Watkins Glen for $25-45 gen admission tickets and kids 15 and under free, and the region has beautiful scenery.
Hah - I was *there* for the Michelin debacle. Dire race, but an interesting weekend -- I went on a one-man anti-Michelin protest, and for my troubles I got to meet some F1 folks, and either Tony George's son or nephew (I forget which). Also got myself interviewed by Japanese TV, a European newspaper (think it might've been Italian, I forget -- still have the cutting somewhere), and a picture containing me appeared in motor racing websites, magazines, etc. around the world. ;-) Best part of it though was the number of people who saw my "Michelin Sucks" sign and smiled, laughed, told me "way to go", whatever...

My fingers are tightly crossed after they ruined that weekend, Michelin don't get the new F1 tire contract...
06-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, looks like Pirelli is going to get the contract, which is fine by me... Michelin was talking about using 18" rims and low profile tires.
06-07-2010, 08:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Yeah, looks like Pirelli is going to get the contract, which is fine by me... Michelin was talking about using 18" rims and low profile tires.
Yeah, I saw that -- Pirelli are too, but thankfully they're talking about starting with what we have now. Hopefully saner heads will prevail once they've got the contract, and they'll see the value in sticking with what we have already, rather than low-profile (which will look *awful* on the cars).
06-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, I agree, I think low profile tires with big rims on an F1 or other open wheel car will look stupid. I don't think these tyre manufacturers have really thought about how ridiculous it'll look.