Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
New K-x, Butterflies and Dragonfly
Lens: DAL 18-55 Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: Oklahoma 
Posted By: Paleo Pete, 06-07-2010, 08:12 PM

Just got a new K-x today and took it out for a few test shots. Most were done in auto mode, the Hairstreak in Program. No editing, just crop and resize. I got two nice dragonfly shots, both are varieties I've never shot before.

First a Checkered White

Now a Dragonfly

A Hairstreak butterfly

And a sulphur, possibly the best shot of the day.

I think these are not bad for my first outing with a new and unfamiliar camera, and with minimal camera adjustments and no editing except for cropping. I usually crop to about 1200x900 or 1600x 1200 then resize to 1024x768, and I always try for minimum software manipulation. For these, none, I wanted to see just what the camera itself does without software assistance.

Can't wait to get my K mount lenses, which I forgot in Texas, and try it in full manual mode. I can't believe I forgot my lenses...

Tips and critique welcome, and these are smaller images, each is embedded with a link to the larger size.

Last edited by Paleo Pete; 06-07-2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: momentary lapse of sanity
Views: 1,380
06-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great variety of subjects... gotta love that k-x... looking forward to more shots from you.... dave m
06-07-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Dave, I'm just trying this camera out and learning it, so I'll be taking pictures of everything that will sit reasonably still for a while. I'm sure more will end up posted here...

I'm mostly into nature shots - flowers and the insects that pollinate them, spiders, squirrels, turtles, birds when possible, mushrooms, trees are great for B&W shots, especially dead ones, and the occasional creek or pond...I end up doing a lot of macro shots.
06-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice shots Pete, all of them but the Sulphur is special.

06-08-2010, 04:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks a bunch Heinrich, the Sulphur and this unidentified flower were the days best shots, I can't decide which is better. This group of flowers is about 1 inch in diameter.

For my first day with a new camera, and my first ever attempt with DSLR, I'm pretty happy with the results. Quite different from SLR and film, yet quite similar as well. Flowers are my favorite learning subjects, they tend to sit relatively still, depending on wind, so I can compose, check settings, get different angles etc. This picture was a macro, just get close and CLICK...right beside the road, not much time, a quick shot and I was very pleased it came out at all.

Last edited by Paleo Pete; 06-08-2010 at 04:47 AM. Reason: More detail
06-08-2010, 07:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Now these are some GOOD butterfly shots - and you've posted enough to demostrate your images result from talent not luck (see my respone to you in my Another Butterfly thread).

Great job.

Jer
06-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sailor - Thanks a lot, I've been at it for quite a few years with film, about 2 years with a P&S and I've also been told by several photographers, including a few professionals, that I have an eye for it.

I'm not sure how to explain it, I just "see" a good shot now and then so I try to grab it. I've done a few set up shots, but 99% of mine are spur of the moment, candid ones. Missed a nice yellow swallowtail butterfly this morning, he never stopped, just flew by and kept going, no chance to even try for a picture. Boy did I want one...think I did get one or two that might be usable for the "Rust Never Sleeps" thread, I'll have to look them over again.

Going out again in a half hour or so, you never know, I might have another keeper to post tonight...

I'll check the other thread, I think that's the black swallowtail sitting on an orange flower?? if so, that was a really nice shot, I liked it.
06-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Great shots!

06-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You have some very good shots here. I like the variety! I don't have beautiful bugs like this to photograph here.
06-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Kalison and miss allexx. I appreciate everyone's compiments, and if anyone has tips or critiques to offer, bombs away...so to speak.

Not much today, one decent shot of a Scissor Tailed flycatcher, one of a couple of attempts at birds. so far nothing that stands out, just decent since this little guy was too far away for the 18-55 to really bring in a good shot.

This is full size, cropped from the much larger original, no other PP done. Not as sharp as I would like, but at a distance of 50 feet or so I was surprised to get it this good. Can't wait to try out my 135mm.