Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Bee, another butterfly, tiny flowers
Lens: DAL 18-55 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Oklahoma 
Posted By: Paleo Pete, 06-09-2010, 11:02 PM

Took a few more shots today, well about 150 actually, here are some of the keepers.

Tiny flowers. These are about 1/8 inch long, I like the translucent petals. Some type of grass in bloom.

A bee on an Indian Blanket bloom.

Another grey hairstreak macro

Katydid nymph and caterpillar on an indian paintbrush bloom.

Views: 2,545
06-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That second shot is fantastic- would have loved to see a bigger version!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

agree with adam... number two has beautiful coloration... maybe just a wee bit of sharpening... also a little more light/contrast..... really make this beauty pop... thanks for sharing, dave m
06-12-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks a lot guys, sometimes I feel like a beginner posting shots alongside some of the people I see here, I take a look at mine and see a few decent shots here and there, then get on here and I'm blown away by what some of the other folks are shooting...and sometimes just knowing they compliment me on soome of mine is...humbling I guess, for lack of a better term...

Adam - That one is 1024x768, how about 3072x2304? I just redid it, cropped a bit different, the whole flower is visible, but 3x this size. No time now but can upload either tonight or tomorrow, if you want to see it.

06-12-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
Inactive Account

i realy like the first one, looked at it before but came back for another look.

It realy captures me. Im a fan of thin DOF and use it alot myself with my Cosina 1,2.

I also like the tone of nr 1 and 2 together, they fit so good together. So good job on the PP to!
06-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Just loved the soft colors in # 2... a lovely capture
06-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Swede - Glad you like that shot, I really like it too. It was not easy to get a good shot of those, the stalks are about 1/4 inch across, and auto focus had trouble with it. I was still getting accustomed to the new K-x, hadn't started tinkering with manual focus yet, I took at least 20 shots of those two and similar ones, all but this one and another got deleted. It's not as nice as this one, but a good shot.

PentX Girl - Thanks. I like the second shot, the bee was what got my attention, and I wanted to get a good shot of it with all the pollen all over. Many of the Indian Blankets were starting to look a little worse for wear and tear, and the bee happened to land on a nice one. The colors came out good, and the pollen on the bee gave it a lot of contrast. I took around 15 shots of this little guy, on 2 or 3 flowers, this is the only one that really worked well. The bright sunlight made it a little washed out, but I left the colors alone because of the contrast the bee and pollen created. It's bright and distinct, while the flower is more subdued, and it seemed to work so I left it alone. The bee almost looks electrified.

The one thing I don't like is the yellow "halo" effect around some of the leaves. I've gotten this on a number of bright sunlight shots, and still haven't figured out how to avoid it. Because of that I almost didn't post this shot.