Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A Rare Pentax Sports Shooter
Posted By: Mountain Vision, 08-07-2007, 07:49 PM

Lets face it, most Pentax photographers aren't sports shooters.

That doesn't mean there are none but there aren't many.

Some baseball shots taken this season.

for more info:

Tri-City Valleycats Early Season Review
Views: 2,761
08-07-2007, 09:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Justin,

Well done. For some reason though, I am really drawn to the last image in the series. I just find it captures baseball and what is good (still) about it. It is a wonderful image that transcends the moment.

There are still some photographers covering sports with Pentax. Decades back I used to cover a couple of New York Pro teams and was the only guy lugging Pentax gear around. Some of the words coming through private Pentax channels leads me to believe that there will be many more in the future.

Great work on your part as I really liked this series.

Stephen
08-07-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Hi , how r ya. Ive been shooting pics at rugby union and league and have been pretty happy with the results im getting.Still trying different settings n modes but getting some good shots in the process.I was pretty surprised with some of the shots i took in auto having such good results.Im using high speed Tv and some in A v and TAV. and P as well.W as wondering what ur favourite settings mite be.I use a Tamron 80-210mm hope to get a longer lens soon.Liked ur pics thnx for showing. all the best
08-08-2007, 05:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Moutain very nice work. I like the pitcher and that last shot. I like them all but those to are favorites. Great job. I always bring my K10 to any sporting event I attend. I am always looking for others in the stands and in the well. Have yet to see any other then the stands. Maybe timewill tell and when they see shots like your they will rethink those othe r brands.

08-08-2007, 05:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I know how fell LOL thows are very nice and good shots
08-08-2007, 06:40 AM   #6
sft

Great sports pics! Captured very well.

When you click on the photo's you get the original size (which contrary to the statements) are actually smaller than the ones embedded in your post so the images in the post appear all jaggy - they appear really nice and crisp when clicked on though. Just FYI.

Thanks for sharing - not much of a baseball fan at all but I really enjoyed looking at these.
08-08-2007, 09:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
SFT,

I was a little confused why it made them jaggy but like you said if you click on them they are nice and crisp.

Trump,

It depends on the time of day that I'm shooting what mode I shoot in.

But at times I use all of them. If the lighting is very even I use Manual.

the main thing is to maintain as high of shutter speed as possible. for day games aim for a 1/1250th speed. for night games pray for 1/400th at ISO 1600 which still yields blurry images in bang bang plays most of the time.

SCG,

I shot Pentax (film) back in college for a major Div 1 school. Using the PZ-1P which was actually faster (and pretty competent) at 4.5fps. After college it was a 7 year hiatus before coming back to sports with the ist D. But the K10D is pretty competent. If it had a better ISO 1600 (and perhaps 3200) and a 5fps, I'd probably be set for a while.

But I am eagerly awaiting the sucessor and hopefully the above improvements.

As far as gear, I use Tokina ATX-Pro glass 28-70 2.8 and 80-200 2.8. 1.4x TC and shortly a Pentax 50-135 2.8 DA* for hockey season. In college I owned a 300 F/4 and I'm awaiting sigmas release of the updated 100-300 F/4 in SDM which is a stellar lens for a fair price.

Obviously I'd love a 300 2.8 but the cost is simply prohibitive.

Thanks for all the comments and I hope Pentax does make a resurgence in the PJ/sports market, while not losing it's niche of fast, high quality primes and smaller bodies. I'm not sure why it can't do both. With the DA* SDM zooms it's already halfway there. Just another long zoom or two and a faster K10D and really Canikon has nothing over Pentax in the sub $4000 market, and considering most pro PJ's use a 30D this is not a bad market to be in.

08-08-2007, 10:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
SFT,

I was a little confused why it made them jaggy but like you said if you click on them they are nice and crisp.

Trump,

It depends on the time of day that I'm shooting what mode I shoot in.

But at times I use all of them. If the lighting is very even I use Manual.

the main thing is to maintain as high of shutter speed as possible. for day games aim for a 1/1250th speed. for night games pray for 1/400th at ISO 1600 which still yields blurry images in bang bang plays most of the time.

SCG,

I shot Pentax (film) back in college for a major Div 1 school. Using the PZ-1P which was actually faster (and pretty competent) at 4.5fps. After college it was a 7 year hiatus before coming back to sports with the ist D. But the K10D is pretty competent. If it had a better ISO 1600 (and perhaps 3200) and a 5fps, I'd probably be set for a while.

But I am eagerly awaiting the sucessor and hopefully the above improvements.

As far as gear, I use Tokina ATX-Pro glass 28-70 2.8 and 80-200 2.8. 1.4x TC and shortly a Pentax 50-135 2.8 DA* for hockey season. In college I owned a 300 F/4 and I'm awaiting sigmas release of the updated 100-300 F/4 in SDM which is a stellar lens for a fair price.

Obviously I'd love a 300 2.8 but the cost is simply prohibitive.

Thanks for all the comments and I hope Pentax does make a resurgence in the PJ/sports market, while not losing it's niche of fast, high quality primes and smaller bodies. I'm not sure why it can't do both. With the DA* SDM zooms it's already halfway there. Just another long zoom or two and a faster K10D and really Canikon has nothing over Pentax in the sub $4000 market, and considering most pro PJ's use a 30D this is not a bad market to be in.
i can not agree more your lucky you get to shoot in good light lol i run my own newspaper The Photograph and Pentax dus need to nake it in the photoj market. with that being sed i do not have any problems using eather the K100D or the K10D shooting sports or photoj. when shooting photoj fires car wrecks i like to use the 18-55 or my 50 F1.7 no prob BUT there are times that long fast lenes are nice. i have a Tokina AT-X 80-200 F2.8 MF that i use a lot but would like to see a fast 500+ and the FA* line be brought back. i do not wont Digital lenes.
08-08-2007, 02:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great stuff. Love that last shot of the fireworks and team. Real photography right there.

I'm a sports shooter too. Motocross, to be exact. THe one and only photohound in the sport with Pentax gear. Wouldn't trade it for anything, especially once i get my greedy hands on that 50-135 2.8!!!!!!!!
08-09-2007, 02:40 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too have been shooting sports this winter - rugby. They are going up on a rugby club's site each week. Using a Sigma 70-200/2.8, usually with a 1.4x, but towards the end of the games, in winter, it was getting too dark and I'd have to take the 1.4x off! That's why the 100-300/4 wouldn't be so good for me, though tempting all the same. I even made my own rain cover - out of a plastic bag - looks real pro! maybe I should post a few...
08-09-2007, 09:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcleoud151 Quote
Great stuff. Love that last shot of the fireworks and team. Real photography right there.

I'm a sports shooter too. Motocross, to be exact. THe one and only photohound in the sport with Pentax gear. Wouldn't trade it for anything, especially once i get my greedy hands on that 50-135 2.8!!!!!!!!
yea i fell lonely with no one to talk Pentax to LOL