Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Kentucky Fusion Paintball
Posted By: Kingsofronin, 08-08-2007, 09:49 AM

Recently got paid to shoot their practice.

Results were as follows:

Blowing up bunkers.

Walking the field/setting up

Discussion 1

Discussion 2

Snap Shooting Instruction

Drill #1

Drill #2

Waterboy

You may not think theyre so good, but I shot the whole practice with my 50mm f/2 prime at f2. Manually focusing was rather hard for some of these pictures to come out as well as they did.

Thanks for looking, double thanks for replying.

Peace.
Views: 2,069
08-08-2007, 01:38 PM   #2

Good shots - it takes a lot of guts to cover a paintball practice especially with a 50mm lens! I hope you were wearing a mask! I have an old 50mm SMC-A F2 and it is one of my favorites.
08-08-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
Good to hear from a fellow 50mm SMC-A F2 user!

Of course i wore a mask...I even shot those with mask on, making focusing even more difficult.

But the day honestly improved my focusing skills. I have such an easier time focusing now
than i did before. I recommend this to everyone. It helps.
08-09-2007, 02:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool shots, I bet they love them.

08-09-2007, 03:16 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Good paintball shots! I have played many a game over the years and have taken a few pictures too. I would highly recommend using a decent AF telephoto zoom lens. The DA 50-200mm comes to mind as a worthy lens for this kind of shooting. As you are right in the middle of the action and not shooting from the side lines (like most sports) you wouldn't need a super long 400mm lens.

My biggest fear was taking a hit on the camera or lens. I chickened out on using my Pentax DSLR and just used a cheap point 'n' shoot camera.

I can't help but notice that the team is set up in a residential area with out any protective netting or even fencing. I am just imagining what would happen if someone just happened to wander by or stop to watch and got hit in the face. I have also seen some paint that did not wash off completely from the painted surface of a car. Plus the neighbors must be very tolerant of the noise from the guns popping. I am not being anti-paintball in any way; my son and I did a lot of research into procuring land and opening our own field a few years ago. It is just there is a real possibility of lawsuits when it comes to extreme games like paintball.
08-09-2007, 05:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have to say at first glance they all seem a little soft. I think you should think about J.Scott said about a different choice of lens. This looks like a fun time and you really have to trust they wont confuse you for a player
08-09-2007, 06:01 AM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
It is in a residential area, but they own something like 40-50 acres behind their house.

Everything is seperated, VERY sperated, by tree's. No netting is required.

;]

I kind of disagree. The photo's are sharp as a tack, but I probably wouldnt try
shooting with the 50mm again. It's really tough. As soon as my DA* 50-135mm
f/2.8 comes in I plan on using that. Of course I plan to wrap it in plastic so it
doesnt get ruined.