Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Wifey
Lens: Pentax 50mm 1.4 Camera: k200D ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: Xsalfior, 06-12-2010, 03:41 PM

I was reading in photography magazine today and they talked about using the sun as lighting by placing your subject in front of a window. So I tried it out using my wife as the subject this was one of the better shots i thought. Any comments or critiques are welcomed (about the picture not the person)

Views: 1,734
06-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The sun is a source of light? Wow.

The few times I've read a photography magazine's advice on improving technique, it has always come across as far too elementary. I suppose they know their target audience better than I do.
06-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #3

Original Poster
I understand what you are saying mischivo, it is a very basic thing, I was just commenting on how something so simple can be overlooked, but please don't be so condescending or at least that is how you come across it is difficult to tell a persons tone when writing. Also implying that the target market for such magazines are amateurs well I can't argue that. I'm very much an amateur I just take pictures because I enjoy it.
06-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
very nicely done... i'd only crop out the left half of the shot... the natural ambient light is soft and compliments your wife's face very well.... dave m

06-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Very nice....
06-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Xsalfior Quote
I understand what you are saying mischivo, it is a very basic thing, I was just commenting on how something so simple can be overlooked, but please don't be so condescending or at least that is how you come across it is difficult to tell a persons tone when writing. Also implying that the target market for such magazines are amateurs well I can't argue that. I'm very much an amateur I just take pictures because I enjoy it.
Bravo, Bravo, nicely said.
06-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #7

Original Poster
well I cropped out the light and touched it up with silver efex I think I might like it better in b&w
06-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I really like this! The B/w version is better, IMO, than the color version. Incidentally, you have an attractive wife!

06-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Let me put it in the simplest way that I see this Picture.If the subject was of someone that everyone recognizes and taken by a renowned photographer it would make a cover somewhere.I like it--great job--CharlieZap
06-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I think you've done extremely well, it's a beautiful photo of your (beautiful) wife.

The only slightly distracting thing in the photo is that PP skin smoothing seems just a touch over done, I'd back it off a little. If I'm wrong here and there's no skin smoothing being applied then I apologise.
06-13-2010, 11:46 PM   #11
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

A pretty woman captured nicely.

Some suggestions:
Use the direction of the window light to your advantage by having the subject face more towards the window - it then shines directly on the subject and enhances the result.

Frame the subject either in portrait format, or landscape using the rule of thirds. In your original capture, she's shoved a little too far to the right.

Indeed the retouching has been overdone, and I can see why - the overexposed left hand side of her face needed some work. To balance out the light & dark areas of the face, a reflector/mirror would have been well-placed on the other side of the subject, reflecting the ambient light back onto the shadow side of the face.

Use the beautiful muted colours of your home to your advantage. Rather than including the window edges in the frame, blowing out the highlights and distracting the viewer from the beautiful subject, have the camera perspective from closer to the window looking more inward, with the subject looking into the window as before.

A fine example of this would be this stunning (and winning) entry in DPChallenge:
Haute Couture by librodo - DPChallenge
06-14-2010, 07:00 AM   #12

Original Poster
thank you everyone for your kind words.

Twitch and Ash looking back I completely agree with the skin tone I softened it up too much in lightroom which gives it that very artificial almost airbrushed look, I will back it out next time for sure. I really do appreciate the advice.
06-14-2010, 07:03 AM   #13

Original Poster
Sweet Jesus! that pic you posted a link to Haute Couture by librodo is simply stunning.
06-14-2010, 07:55 AM   #14
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Standard rule of portraits is to watch lines behind the head. You have one huge one going right into the side of the head (wall trim) and some others near the top of the head (window framing). Try to position the head in the smooth part of the wall, as linear things behind and around the head are distracting.